So... I found a travel needlework case at a craft supply swap last weekend. It was really practical but also VERY ugly (and smelly). So, I tore it apart and used the basic shape as my pattern. This is what I came up with:
It's made out of pre-quilted fabric, has straps for carrying, one outside pocket, and a full zipper closure. (the sides actually line up really well- I don't know why they look wonky in the picture.)
Here's a close-up of how I did the zipper. Since the pre-quilted fabric had a different finished design on both sides, I didn't need a lining. This posed a problem when it came to putting in the zipper. I finally decided on using bias tape to hide the raw edge.
Inside there are several zip pockets and an open pocket. The vinyl thing in the middle is binder pages for holding embroidery floss. I put a measuring tape next to it, so you could get an idea of the size.
Here's a close up of one side- you can see there is one large zippered pocked for holding tools, as well as an open pocket for whatever.
The other side just has one giant pocket. It can hold a few embroidery hoops in it. There is also a vinyl scissors holder on this side. Using the scrap fabric, I made myself a matching needle book.
I really LOVE this thing. I'm so SO proud of how it turned out. The zipper doesn't lay perfectly, but it's my first try doing anything like this, and I made up most of the the pattern... My husband and I are going on vacation next weekend and I'm so excited to be able to take my projects in such a cute case.