I was a little intimidated by the sock monkey pattern. But I was in wally-world, found a pair of sturdy socks on clearance for $1.50, and decided it would be worth a try. My "little" sister's big on monkeys, so I'm going to send it to her along with some other stuff I've been crafting with her in mind.
Things I learned:
1. Make sure all of your pieces are right-sides together when sewing them. I don't know if you can tell from the pic, but one of the poor guys ears is actually inside out because I sewed it wrong-sides together. Too much work to unpick the stitches, so it stayed that way.
2. It's important to pin the heck out of your seams, and also watch your stitch tension, or you'll end up with misaligned stripes.
3. If you're going to use the kind of eyes that snap in to a piece on the inside of the fabric, this MUST MUST MUST be done before you stuff and seal your monkey body. I ended up having to go out and buy buttons because I forgot to add the eyes before stuffing.
4. Stitches really show on this project. I used white thread for the crotch seam, thinking it would disappear, but it just looks like he had some major surgery instead! Next time I will definitely make sure all of my seams match my socks!
Other than that, I'm really pleased with the way he came out. I did a rough stitching around the ears about an eighth of an inch in from the seam, which gives them a lot of character. I keep looking at him with "I can't believe I made
this eyes. I was back at walmart today and discovered they had one more pair of those socks, so I think this guy's going to have a sister soon!!