So my first attempt didn't work out so well. I used a large stainless steel stock pot filled with very hot water and I used RIT dye. Basically if I tried to stir the pot it would make the cotton balls fall apart. Also because wringing them out deformed them (they looked all squished) it is taking them forever to dry. (Like three or four days) I tried putting them in the dryer in an old pillow case but it shredded them to pieces. Also they just generally came out very mangy looking. (I'm not sure if the manginess is do to me not mixing the dye all the way..
This is really annoying me since i figured it shouldn't be hard. I was a fiber arts kids in school and I even took the chemistry of dyes and fibers. (To my credit about the only smart thing I did was start with the lightest color and work my way to darkest)
Sheesh who would have thought dying cotton balls would be this frustrating - luckily they are super cheap
ps. this is my first post - i'm new!