I made this from a tut I found in the Spring '07 Adorn Magazine, I thought I'd make a more detailed one to share with everyone.
Shirt or Mini dress in desired color
1/2 yard 45' wide cotton fabric
Needle and thread
Sewing machine (optional)
Five or six 1 1/2 wide buckles
1. Cut two 6'x 25' inch fabric strips, One 3'x 15' inch strip (I made mine a few inches longer)
2. Fold each strip inside out lengthwise and sew along the bottom and side of each strip leaving a hole at the top. Turn right side out, turn the raw edge inside the tube you just made and sew it shut. Repeat with remaining strips.
You should now have two strips 3 inches by 25 inches and one strip 1 1/2 inches by 15 inches.
3. Making the bows: Place a 3 x 25 strip flat on your work surface.
4. Lay one end of the strip over the other as pictured, pull the ends until they are even. (sorry for the raw edges, I forgot to picture the parts before....so imagine they are beautifully sewn.)
5. Grasp the looped fabric from the back and flip it on top.
6. Pinch the top and bottom of the loop to make the base bow shape
7. Place one or two stitches from top to bottom to hold it's shape. Repeat with remaining 3x25 strip.
8. Slip your buckles on the 1 1/2 x 15 strip. This is what it should look like so far.
9. Place your bow a little more then an inch above the bottom of the main strip.
10. Pull the inch or so of the bottom strip up over the bow.
11. place the end under your bow out of sight.
12. There you have your bow. Repeat steps 9-11 for the top bow.
13. I put on my shirt infront of a mirror and pinned the strip where I liked where it fell. To stitch it in place I made one little X in between each buckle and under each side of the bow.
Enjoy your new runway inspired creation!
Here's the Original Chanel on some starlets...