OK. I'll try and give an explanation that will make sense. If something doesn't just let me know.
I was originally going to make a second circle skirt (only shorter) out of the orange material to go over the top of the burnt orange skirt. (It was going to lace up on each side like a corset so I needed two halves of a skirt.) So I cute out 4 circle skirt pieces. (I did four so there wouldn't be any seams showing.) I sewed 2 pieces right sides together and then turned them inside out. I then gathered the top so it would be the right waist size. I held it up to the dress and decided a didn't like it. So I began to mess around with it a bit. I gathered it all the way so the two corners of the top of the skirt touched. So it looked like this (apart from my bad Paint drawing skills.)
Next I took the two ends and folded them down. So it looked like this.
I thought that looked a little bare so I grabbed one of the remaining circle skirt pieces I had cut (all with raw edges) and scrunched it up. Sticking it in the middle of the skirt. Then I took the edges from the middle and folded them outward. I stitched it all down across the top. To cover up the stitching and raw top I hot glued ribbon across it. It attaches to the dress with snaps.
And here is a picture of the bustle.