I couldn't find a pattern for a cowl that I liked, so I made one myself. Bleedat.
Rough instructions, if you're interested: I cast on 50 stitches (I think with size 7 needles, can't remember now!) and I did seed stitch (moss stitch) for 6 rows. I then switched to basket weave stitch (knit 5, purl 5) for 3 rows of squares. Then I moved to stockinette stitch for about 4 inches, and then did two more blocks of basket weave stitch so that it wouldn't curl too much on the edges. Then I went back to stockinette for another 4 inches before doing 4 sections of basket weave (yeah, yeah, I only did three rows on the other side, I'm aware) and then I did 6 rows of seed stitch and sewed button holes (my first time!) for 4 buttons.
I used Lincraft Surprise Yarn, which is an acrylic yarn sent to me by way of winning a blog giveaway. I haven't been able to find it online because it's mostly an Australian company.
The real "surprise" with this yarn, however, was the three knots that I hit in it, which changed the colors halfway through (you can see the difference). Wrapped around my neck it looks great, but you can bet I was in a huff while knitting it before it was done!
Thanks for looking!