I've been planning to dye some roving for several days now, and I finally made it to the fiber store to get the wools. I picked up some white superfine merino and some gray romney. I picked up the romney because I want a crimson yarn, and I don't have the setup for non-food dyes. I also wanted to dye the merino with blues and greens, but the store didn't have blues, so I ended up with pink, yellow, and green.
The merino went well, except that the yellow got swallowed up by the green. This happened partially because yellow is a color that is easy to overpower, but also because I did the dyeing in my bathtub, and it's slanted downward. This caused excess green to roll down into the yellow sections. There are a couple of very small yellow spots left, but they are hardly noticeable in the picture. I'm kind of glad it turned out this way, though, because it will produce a beautiful watermelon yarn.
The romney went okay, but a lot of the dye ran out of the saran wrap when I was trying to close it up. The wool was also not as wet when I began dyeing, and I think that the color didn't stick as well because of that. The cherry kool-aid did not take, and that end is closer to the original gray than the rest of it. It will produce a slight variation in yarn color when spun, and I actually think I will prefer that to a solid crimson.
Also, if you don't use gloves, here's how your hands will look...
But I had fun! I'll post pictures after it's been spun up.