Here we are! This is a sport-to-worsted weight yarn that I spun from a batt I processed and dyed myself. There's a bit of lanolin left that I will try to get out before I send the finished product to my sister, but overall I'm pleased. 117 yds, 4? oz:
Her favorite color is yellow, but I hadn't perfected this colorway yet, and the green bled everywhere and so there's barely any blue or yellow. But, it will be subtle striping all the way and hopefully the final product will be awesome.
Here's my clapotis. I knit it with fingering weight handspun on size 7 circulars. It doesn't crunch up like the pattern shows, which I think is due to both the large gauge and the fact that I blocked it flat but I actually like it better this way.
Well, looks like I get to start us out this week! I don't have any new yarns, but I DO have new fiber! So, here we are:
Dyed up for the following bags.
Dyed up for the following bags.
Also dyed for the following bags.
Dyed for the following bags, too.
Okay, this is the first of 5 colorways. I got a bunch of fun goodies together and I mixed them all up and put them in a bag and I call them my "Fiber Porn Grab-and-Spin [FPGS] Bags." They're a lot like batts in that there are lots of fun things and texture mixed together, but they allow for more control over which pieces go where. I spun this yarn from an experimental grab bag I made last fall:
So. A couple more of the colorways:
Hooray! Can't wait to see what you've all got in store!
EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot! I also carded up some superwash/nylon blends with socks in mind.
I'm new over here in the quilting side of Craftster So, hello everyone!
This is probably the first real quilt project I've taken on. I decided to go simple for the first one. Long story short, I started this quilt ages (think 5+ years) ago, and I finally bought my own machine and finished putting this together this evening. It's about a meter square, and I'd like a quilt that's about 7 feet by 5 feet when I'm done. So, I need to add a couple of rounds, and I can't decide what blocks to use.
Here are a couple of pictures of the center:
I was thinking of adding a 1-2" border around the whole center in either solid black or something gold-ish (definitely leaning towards black). I also was considering blocks with a solid or small-print background and a eighth note shape stitched on top. I also have been thinking of pinwheel blocks such as this one: http://quiltstosell.com/pinwheel_block_0.jpg with red as the large triangle, black on the inner small ones and beige on the outer small ones.
Any other ideas?? Thanks in advance
EDIT: My mom liked the visual of the center placed vertically, so here it is, if it helps.
Oooh, silverstah, you've got some rockin' stuff going on this week!
Here's the (meager) offering I have. Somehow I didn't get a picture of the 2-ply I did and I'm too lazy to go take one ATM. It's the "good" yarn this week.
So, the dyeing I did (my apologies for the pictures - I asked the SO to take pictures for me and I forgot that his idea of good pictures are ones where you can only see the whole thing, and I spun it up before I remembered to check):
This is the first batt I dyed. I hated it at first, and I had intended to dye up the other batt the same way but then I didn't like it at all. So then I dyed the second batt in complementary colors, intending to ply them:
Hoorah, mission achieved, right? Well, then I spun up the first one thick and thin (it felted a bit in the dyeing process ) and I got this GORGEOUS thing out of it:
And now I'm knitting it into a scarf for my sister, who loves all things pink. It's striping itself although I didn't spin it with that in mind at ALL. It's also got too much twist since I spun it with plying in mind, so the scarf is slanting to the right like mad
I'm going to (probably) get a drum carder tomorrow!!! And, I placed an order from SSS Fibery fantasticness on its way!
Nothing super fantastic here like Jazzturtle's work, though. Just some basic singles, slightly overspun for longer wear.
First up, yarns from roving I bought a couple of weeks ago. If I posted these last week, I don't remember, and sorry for the repeats, but I'm pretty sure I didn't since I couldn't find any pictures and took pictures of it last night!
Fondue, 208 yds, 17-ish wpi?, 70/30 alpaca/tussah (it's SOOOOOOOOOOO soft and gorgeous and shimmery in person!), loose 2-ply:
And unnamed yarn, 112 yds, 18-20 wpi, 100% llama (more about llama in a minute!):
So, last week at the Farmers Market, a lady came by with a giant bag full of raw llama and set it next to me and walked away. There were almost 12 POUNDS of fur there! It's super long and delicious, and I didn't have any hand combs, so we fashioned me some ghetto-tastic ones that are perfectly functional So, the llama I spun is fuzz I cleaned and combed myself. I need practice making continuous roving with a diz (bigger holes would help, oh yes.) but I'm pretty proud of myself. I haven't taken pictures of the combs yet but I should. I'll probably stick them in next week.
I also spun up some more dog hair, this time for a client, and it's gorgeous! I love how dog hair variegates naturally.
Oddacity, I love the black yarn you spun! Soooo pretty