Backstory: On her trip to Japan, my friend brought back a yukata for me. It was great, but the uses for a robe like that were fairly limited, and it got used as a bathrobe more than anything.
A while ago, I decided that this fabric would no longer suffer as a bathrobe, and that I would make it into a skirt eventually. I found the BurdaStyle Kasia pattern, and things kind of went on their own from there. I've had this fabulous paisley silky-lining-business since I started sewing, but I never found a good use for it until now. The skirt has a kangaroo pocket in the front (it's not supposed to, but I didn't want to sew on more buttons), a full lining, and a zipper behind the pocket so I can get in and out.
Just a disclaimer: The fabric is nowhere near this wrinkly in real life. I think the stripes are just making it look super super wrinkled.
With the buttons closed
The pocket and zipper (this is a super way to make skirts! It's comfy and it gives you a big roomy pocket for your hands! )
And on me! I fail at standing up straight.
I'm super happy with this skirt, and I'll probably make more from this pattern. It's easy, but it looks complicated, and everyone gives you "Ooooh. Fancy." comments when you wear it out.
I'm making the Kasia skirt from Burdastyle, and I want to give it a lining. Normally, I'd just make a copy of the outside of the skirt and attach it at the waist, but the outside is complicated, and I don't think it would help to replicate that in the lining. It would probably make it super bulky, too.
Should I just square off the top of the back and front pieces, and treat it like a straight skirt? Or should I put the pieces together like this and just draw a new side seam to match?
I think doing it like this would work, but If anyone has anymore ideas, I'd love to hear them.
Last project of the summer! Classes start tomorrow, so I wanted to get this finished up before I start getting loads of homework dumped on me.
I downloaded the Ute pattern back in March when Burdastyle was offering it for free, and I started it pretty soon after that. By May, I had gotten everything but the sleeves and the front closing done, but the sleeves were making no sense to me, so I threw it in my fabric box and let it sit. I picked it up today, and for some reason, the sleeves made sense. It turns out that burda makes their puff sleeves with tiny darts instead of pleats or gathers, and I was trying to pin it as pleats.
(I was making a derfy face. Mr. Happy is much more attractive. xD)
I used a drapey forest green knit from fabric.com, and it makes a super comfy blouse. It's a bit big, which surprises me, because I was making a size smaller than was recommended. The boobs are too low as well, which is rare for me. I'll fiddle with it and make a FBA if I sew another one of these.
I like how it turned out, and how it doesn't really show any of the mistakes I made. I should have been a little more careful with the pattern placement though. The wide stripes on the side and the skinny ones in the middle are really doing me no favors.
I picked up this pillowcase at Goodwill, and it was entirely too cute to not make a skirt out of. I drafted the pattern from Sew What! Skirts, and put in a drawstring because I was feeling too lazy to go and buy a new zipper. The back is brown twill that I have far too much of, and it's lined with some icky acetate lining. I wouldn't have put the lining in, but the front fabric isn't the most opaque, and it helps it stand up a little better. On to the pictures! (I'm a total zombie in these, and please ignore the messy lounge. It has better light than my dorm room.)
I still have half of the pillowcase left (it's got the same print on it). Anyone have ideas for what I should do with it?
I put this coat together somewhere between christmas eve and boxing day. It's a very simple coat, with ginormous sleeves and a pleat in the back, so it went pretty quickly. The pattern is McCall's M5479, and I didn't have any problems with it, other than the collar not fitting properly. I like it better the way it is, so it's not a huge problem.
The outside is flannel from JoAnns, and the inside is cotton from their halloween stuff. ($1.50/yard for the win!). Most of the lining is hand stitched to the facings, but it's also machine tacked in a couple places. It was my first time making buttonholes, and I've got a while to go on them, but most of them are at least presentable. Not pretty, but functional, and most people won't notice the flaws.
Apologies for the pajamas, but I just got back from a convention yesterday, and I really haven't felt like getting up.
Front view. I would button that top button, but it's not on straight. D:
Giant sleeves! You can see the lining pretty well here.
A better shot of the lining and front facings. Also in this picture are a towel and a bookcase. Lol cameos.
I saw this fabric at Jo-Ann's and fell in love with it. It made a beautiful skirt, and they're still enough there for a head band! It's made of 4" box pleats, and a not-very-invisible zipper. It's mad comfy, and it moves beautifully!
The skirt, as modeled by my fantastic neolithic sculpture. (It was supposed to be a dress form, but it came out much more like the sculptures of pregnant cave-ladies. It's also much bigger than I am. xD)
Detail shot of the print
Action Shot! I had to stand on my toilet to get a proper picture of it, and nearly fell off. xD
I'm very fashionable today, if you can't tell. The rain has me all bundled up, and this is what I wear under it. xD