Whew...I'm still truckin' ;-)
Over the past two days, I managed to get all of the strips sewn together (I did not have the border peak into the quilt because I ran out of patience!). I added a border of light blue, 2 strips of the original fabric (all that I had left!) and will be adding the final border of dark blue tomorrow... Ideally, I would make squares for the corners that would incorporate a hexagon each...but we'll see. I think that it would really look nice, and maybe a nice night's sleep will help me gear up for the final push (for the top, anyway).
Right now the quilt is only 52x56. Nowhere NEAR queen sized. I purchased the One Block Wonder book (a bit late, mind you) and I suppose now that I should have gotten WAY more fabric if I wanted to have a queen sized quilt. No worries, though. I will add about a foot of dark blue border to each side, which will bring it to something like 76 x 80...which is a perfectly respectable size for me to snuggle up in this winter.
My next quilt will likely be a one block wonder (putting the hexagons together is so fun!!!, so I'll make that one a bonafide queen size.
This quilt is officially a 'practice' quilt ;-). I can spot a few mistakes only after staring at the thing for an hour, so it hides them wonderfully.
Lessons learned recently:
1. measure twice, cut once.
2. I can stick a pin through my finger and it won't even bleed.
3. I should have swept the floor before trying to iron it, as the dangly bits swept up some cat hair.
4. I need a bigger 'design wall'
5. quilting is really a blast...
I'm hoping that this kind of blogging progress thread will help or encourage other new quilters ;-)
Next...one more border, then making the sandwich and quilting the darn thing...I'll have to look up how to do that... I might use the stitch-in-the-ditch technique, although I'd REALLY like to outline each hexagon about 1/4 inch inside the seam....but I think that I'd have to do that by hand and I'm just not sure....
I'm really starting to like the look of it!