I wanted a protective cover for my new Kindle, but I wanted it to feel like a real book. I found a pattern I liked at a local quilt shop. http://www.amazon.com/Atkinson-Reader-Kindle-Sewing-Pattern/dp/B0051WBQDC I knew I would have to alter it a little because I have a Kindle Touch and there are not as many buttons on the bottom front. The pattern was really easy to follow and it went together quickly.
The main fabric is light blue with brightly colored flowers. The flowers have brown centers, so I used brown as the contrasting color in the binding. The pink tassel is the lining fabric.
The pattern called for either an elastic band or Velcro as the closure. I figured that either of these options may wear out. I altered this to use a magnetic closure. (I checked and the magnet will not damage the Kindle)
The lining is a calico pink with flowers. There are pockets on the left - the upper one fits the M-Edge light.
I had to alter the pattern so that the pocket on the bottom to be shorter in height. I really like that there is access for the charger and the power button. The top was supposed to be secured with elastic, but again, I was worried that elastic may wear out and get nasty. I had extra pocket fabric left over, so I used that to create two pockets on the top. I know my binding looks bad. I'm just too lazy to do binding by hand.
The cover splayed open.
I'm pretty happy with this! It's really well padded and I feel like it will be protected in my bag.