I recently participated in the Be Awesome (Redux) Swap and had the good fortune to partner with the lovely alteredmommy
. I really wanted to get out of my comfort zone and try something completely different for me. alteredmommy told me to go crazy with whatever my new idea was, which was both freeing and terrifying, as I'm usually quite a planner. I like sketching out my idea, writing lists, ordering supplies, and knowing exactly what I'll be doing. This project really didn't work out that way. While I did do some research into other mobiles and chandeliers, it was much more of an organic process than I'm used to.
It all started with the base. I went poking around Goodwill after dinner one night, looking for an old pie tin or kitchen strainer. I had little luck in the kitchen section, and was on my way out, when I bumped into a pile of baskets. The wire star basket was just sitting there, full of lots of places to attach jump rings and bead pins. It was basically begging to be taken home and transformed.
I removed the handle, which was no small project as it was soldered on there. I eventually had to heat the area with my wood burning tool until the solder was soft, then pry them off with pliers. Then I began to dig through my
stash of supplies, looking for anything I could add. I pulled out a mix of beads, charms, stones, buttons, jewelry findings, copper stampings, and old keys.
Once I had most of the stuff collected, I started looking for some crystals to add. I had already checked Goodwill for old lamps or chandeliers, but no luck. So I took to eBay, and bumped into an amazing set of 5 huge star shaped crystals. Five points on the star + five crystals = perfect.
The same seller also had a set of 5 turquoise teardrop crystals listed for sale so I picked those up too, and let them influence the color scheme of the chandelier. All the other beads went away, and I kept out the clear, amber and turquoise ones. The star crystals were attached with large bronze bails, and hung from turquoise stone hearts for added strength and protection for alteredmommy's home.
The strands of bling were created with jewelry findings like eyepins, bails, clasp rings, and jump rings in various sizes, all pulled from my stash. The shorter loops were beads strung onto jewelry wire and attached with crimp beads.
Some of the beads even came from other Craftsters, like pinkleo
, in the form of birthday gifts and Bead Soup Swap packages. The copper stampings were found at a theatre I used to work for, and were supposed to be turned into jewelry for a production, but the design changed and they were forgotten about for years.
And here it is, hanging in its new home in the great white North; the still snowy Canada. (While it is 72 degrees and sunny here in TN today.