I got a new cell phone recently, and instantly knew that the boring silver cover wasn't going to cut it:http://www.godconnection.com/stephanie/originalcell.jpg
And being the budget conscious crafty girl I am, I wasn't even considering dishing out $15+ dollars for some crappy generic solid color or cliche flowers at one of those stands in the mall or off a website.
so I customized it with some 99cent bottles of nail polish!http://www.godconnection.com/stephanie/cellphone-003.jpg
(they didn't have black wet and wild at the rite-aid I went to, so the other generic brand stood in.)
and voila, fab new cell phone!http://www.godconnection.com/stephanie/cellphone-002.jpghttp://www.godconnection.com/stephanie/cellphone-001.jpg
(it says hello coming out of some lips, but the o kind of goes off to the side so it might be hard to tell.)
the red took about four layers because it was less opaque, and it made it a little lumpy because it didn't apply as smoothly. if I had done the whole thing in black it would have prolly taken only one or two layers and it would have been really flat, just is the nature of some of the opaque-ier nail polish colors... you just have to try them out to see. But I don't really mind the lumpiness, I'm not a perfectionist.
To do it I took the front and back covers off (it helps to have that option) and just put regular packaging tape over where the screen and circular sections are on the front to mask them off (my dog always chews up our masking tape rolls, so alas I had none.) and painted a few layers of red. To make the black design on the back, I traced the back cover onto some regular paper, drew the design in pencil, ran the bit of paper through a sticker maker and cut out the penciled parts. Stuck the paper over the red, had at it with black polish, and peeled it off. The only problem was that the adhesive in my stickermaker was a bit too.. sticky, so it left some pretty nasty residue. I just waited for everything to dry and started rubbing it off carefully. I couldn't get all of it, but after I did the next step it kind of just disappeared so it was all gravy.
After a day, I decided it needed a clear topcoat to kind of seal everything and provide more protection from chipping (if you've ever worn wet n' wild on your nails, you probably know its not the most long lasting stuff.) So I got some clear topcoat stuff, put a nice layer, let it dry very thoroughly and put it all back on the phone. It made it nice and shiny and pretty, and the red has little sort of sparklies that look real purdy like.
its been about a week, and since I put the clear coat on top I haven't had any chipping at all, which is nice. And I've had it in my purse quite a bit.
the best part: in six months or whatever when I'm totally tired of the red or the design, I can just take some nail polish remover and start over!