After being inspired by the record bowl thread, I hit up the Salvation Army and Goodwill and bought some of their smaller records to make some little bowls. I followed the same directions (Set the oven to about 200, put the record on a bowl, put it in the oven etc.) but when I took my record out to check on it after about 5 minutes, the edges were crinkly but it wasn't soft enough for me to mold. The first record I ended up using was just really stubborn. I decided I liked the way it looked and started playing around with doing something besides a bowl...
What I ended up doing was gluing a black and white picture I'd cut into a circle onto the center of the melted record. The picture was from the back of a Reader's Digest, so it was thicker paper to begin with, and then I used plain old Elmer's Glue to coat both sides. When the Elmer's dried clear, it gave it a nice little finish too. (When I tried this on some other paper that was thinner, it just got wrinkly, but it still worked out in the end.)
I used a glue gun to mount the melted record onto a non-melted record, then glue-gunned a piece of ribbon onto it so it could hang on the wall. Then I took some beading wire and hung two flat silver beads that said 'wish' and 'believe', and a third bead that was a miniature picture frame. I was giving this to my friend Carey for Christmas, and I happened to have a really little picture of her face that I cut out and put into the frame. It worked out really well. Ta da!
I decided to do a little something different for my friend Rachel's wall hanging. She's a big fan of the painting "The Kiss," so I got a copy of the picture from her. I cut out the picture in a circle like last time, and then using a gel ink pen and some embossing powder I embossed "The Kiss" with a heart in gold on the bottom and then I (slowly, little at a time) made a border around the edge to emboss in bronze. I took a record (not melted, just regular) and wrapped some transluscent ribbon I'd gotten on clearance at Walmart around and around until the entire thing was covered. I think the ribbon was about $1.50 for 3 yards, and I used up all 3 yards, overlapping the ribbon as I went. Glue-gunned it to the back, and then glued the picture on top. I glued on some wire to hang it from, as well as some more dangly wire-with-beads and another picture-frame bead with a cut out picture of a flower from the original "The Kiss" picture in it, then I finished it off by gluing another record to the back so it would hang flat against a wall.
I made a few different ones for other people as well, but my picture got deleted off the digital camera :/