This just arrived to its intended so I can post it. I did this for a private swap on Facebook. The them was Drive-In Movies.
Her favorite movie was "The Princess Bride". I found the name tag template and the image of Inigo Montoya and combined them in Publisher. The font was from 'Free Fonts' and is called 'Forte'. I made it into a little pillow paperweight with a rice-filled inner pillow. Bio security in New Zealand decided the rice was a hazard and took it all out, so Jo (jojobooster) framed it !
The really humorous part is, she sent me an Inigo Montoya piece, too!
In late Spring I found a nice second-hand denim shirt that I decided to do a pretty piece of embroidery on. The large floral heart design was a free download I found I believe on Flickr, but I've searched all my bookmarks and I can't find the blog, so to whoever posted this, thank you so much, and this is for my personal use. This is my first attempt at Brazilian embroidery.
This was an 'accidental' shot, but it shows the piece in the beginning:
Here's a close-up of the finished piece:
and a shot of the shirt modeled by Yours Truly:
Finally, a work in progress of the companion piece, a floral heart from Mary Corbett's Needle 'n Thread done in regular embroidery floss on a $1.99 Salvation Army find straw bag:
The stitches used on the shirt are: Backstitch, Bullion Stitch, Chinese Knot, French Knot, Leaf stitch, Padded and Regular Satin stitch, Long & short stitch. It took nearly nine weeks and around 100 hours to finish. The thread is hand-dyed Brazilian Embroidery Rayon by Edmar.
There's a laundry product out called 'Color Catcher'. It's by the same folks who help you get stains out by yelling (hint, hint)!
It's a sheet that goes in the wash and captures fabric dye bleeds. A lady in my stitch group recommended it, and I've been using it on some new projects and it works very well! It is a little expensive but my newest projects involve embroidered clothing, so it's been worth it to me.
Hello! I normally hang out on the needlework board, but I need the help of the sewers here.
I bought a size 24 tank dress in a pretty dark blue rose print for 2.99 at Goodwill this weekend. It's very well made and the fabric is awesome, but it's tent-like and ankle length on me (I'm an 18/20).
I want to reconstruct it with a more modern, fitted bodice, a shorter length and possibly a tulip skirt. I know generally what I have to do to it (like pin, cut and re-shape the top and bottom ,then put it back together) but any hints and tips would be heartily welcomed.
Please PM me if you don't want to leave lengthy comments on this board!
I wanted a quick little project to start the year with and did this one supposedly for an ATC swap, but it hasn't been mailed yet (don't kill me, Mafiosagrrl!).
The sweet little bird image is courtesy of a regular manbroiderer here. He goes by bcampbell_to in Flickr, but I can't remember his Craftster name! The birdy is done in silk variegated and regular DMC floss. I fastened the paper image to the pink fabric and backing fabric with Press 'n Seal, then stitched over it. It's not being washed so it doesn't have to be completely pulled out.
I glued the backing fabric to the little hoop, then added felt to mask the back, ribbon and rick rack. C, c and questions welcome.
Right before the holidays I got a request from a fellow stitcher on Flickr to test a new pattern she's making for her Etsy store. It's a puppet but it's embroidered and hand-stitched so I'm posting it here as well as on the 'Needlework' board. I hope that's okay!
May I present Static White Stitchery's Zombie Hand Puppet (as made by moi):
He's made of acrylic felt and embroidery floss, his pupils are red glass beads, and his 'blood' is dry-brushed fabric paint.
I normally hang out on the needlework boards, but my son and I made this last week and he's very proud of it.
I am by no means a stuffie, plushie or toy maker, so gently constructive criticism and tips for next time will be most appreciated!
Malcolm is taking HS Chemistry this fall, and each year when the study 'moles' (units of measurement for molecules), their teachers let them create toy animal 'moles' for extra credit and theme them any way they like. Malcolm loves steam trains, so this is his idea; Molesy Jones:
He is fake fur, felt, a little pink corduroy, part of a bandana, paint marker & stuffed with recycled dryer sheets. I did most of the sewing, Malcolm did the paint stripes and put him all together.
This is Molesy with my Malcolm on the way to school last Friday.
I put this in the mail today and I am bursting at the seams to show this because it turned out better than I could have possibly imagined!
This is my swap piece for Ruby0042 for the NSFW swap on the Phat Quarter Flickr pool. I knew I couldn't 'out porn' Ruby's marvelous debauchery, so I went for Erotica instead. Old Testament Erotica, the kind your folks let you read as a young teen because it's in the BIBLE!
I used khaki canvas on a Fat Quarter of fabric that had the same color scheme as the illustration. This is hand-dyed Rayon Viscose Floss by Edmar. I got it on sale this summer. It comes spun in a hank like yarn, and can knot like crazy of you use a long strand! Much of it was variegated and it comes in three 'weights' so the texture is wonderful and the colors just glow. It took about 3 weeks on and off, I'd say about 10-12 hours total stitching. Mostly stem stitch, a little split stitch, a few french knots and fern stitch (first time I ever did this stitch) in the dark green border.
It was supposed to go out last week, but my youngest son had a severe asthma attack and was hospitalized for 3 1/2 days. He's better now and Ruby my partner and Penny the swap moderator were very understanding.
I hope you enjoy looking at it as much as I enjoyed making it...I actually was a little sad mailing it out today, but I know it will have the best of owners!