Welcome to my NEW KITCHEN!
My budget was less than $1500 for this room AND the laundry/pantry (there's also a thread from when I finished that room). That meant that I had to do a LOT of stuff….myself.
This is what I started with….a VERY small room (9'x12') with FOUR doorways that enter the room. This is looking from the dining room into the kitchen. Straight ahead is a double bifold door (6' wide) that goes to the laundry room/pantry. When our refrigerator died we bought a new one and got it home only to discover that it was 1" too wide to fit. So, we put it next to the counter….in front of one of the pantry bifold doors.
Wallpaper gone, pantry doorway reduced to 30", cabinet from over the stove moved to the new wall allowing for some pan storage, new light, new floor, dishwasher moved with proper end panel installed and a new countertop installed (this one is PROPERLY installed) for MUCH more counter space:
Here are the other two doors, the door on the left goes to the bathroom, the door on the right goes to the basement. If you'll notice….there is NO counter space. That's why we had a roll-cart (for extra storage and counter space). We had to move the cart to the front of the basement door in order to go into the laundry/pantry and then move it over again if we wanted to go into the basement. I HATED that cart:
New light switches, new doors and LOTS of repairs to the walls to make the room look crisp and clean.
Cabinets were refinished (yes, these are the SAME cabinets!) using General Finishes Java Gel stain and new handles were added. This is the same stain I used in my bathroom, but because the slate-look of the floor in this room was such a cool gray that the brown of the Java Gel was going to be too warm. I added color dyes to make the color a little more blue-black and I think it was a good choice. There is a new cabinet installed over the stove to accommodate a new over-the-range microwave….the counter to the right of the stove is now opened up for other uses!! GFI outlets were also added throughout the room.
BEFORE: We used the oversize refrigerator situation as an excuse to install a dishwasher. We installed a temporary counter over it and some utility shelving for some additional storage….even with that addition there still wasn't much counter space.
SO very temporarily set up. You can also see here I had to deal with tons of wallpaper (all very difficult to remove) and pink paint. The linoleum was a disaster….it wouldn't come clean and was torn in spots.
I moved the sink cabinet over 1" to the left to accommodate the refrigerator. I also widened the doorway between the kitchen and dining room by about 15" so that the refrigerator doors can open all the way. With the old fridge we couldn't access the drawers on the right because the door wouldn't open enough. The light above the sink was purchased at a garage sale (best $3 I've ever spent!):
This was quite the project and I had to do it all on a pretty tight budget. 1/3 of the budget was had to cover just the flooring! Still, I think it turned out nice…..now, onto the next room…...