Back when I had access to a Saori loom (boy do I ever miss that loom), I made this scarf. Unfortunately, the loom wasn't working properly for this project, so I had close to no tension at all (hence the wonky edges). Nevertheless, it's the prettiest thing (IMO) I've woven. So, when I was asked to give it a name - "No Pretension" seemed to fit perfectly! It's already gotten a lot of wear though, so it's a little wrinkled...
The first time I attempted weaving, I was put in front of a Saori loom with a basket of yarn scraps. I'm very happy with the results though! The limited amount of each colour choice made me have to use many so it goes with everything! It's already gotten a lot of wear, so sorry if it looks a little wrinkled.
Here's about half of this kind of drawing I've done, I'll pos thte other ones when they come out of storage. They were drawn back in 2008, mostly during a lengthy hospital stay. They are all done with pencil crayons (except the last one which is markers) and measure 11x14.
I made these mittens for the Yarnies vs Sewist swap and am very happy with the result! I didn't use a pattern, I just winged it as I went along but since several people have requested it, I've detailed out as best I could how I made them (w/ explanation of abbreviations at the bottom). First, the pictures:
What I basically did is draw up my cabling pattern (I had 6 cables), then I started at the bottom with 50 fdc. SEE BOTTOM OF POST FOR CABLE PATTERN.
I did fpdc on the right side (fptr when crossing cables) and bpdc on wrong side rows, doing a sc in st between each post (rs & ws) so there wouldn't be any big gaps.
My basic stitch for the "plain' part was (dc, sc in sc from prev row, skip next dc).
A few rows before the wrist, I started reducing (that part is tucked inside under the glove, so it doesn't really matter if it looks good).
At the wrist, I joined with a sl st at the end of each row, turned and continued as before, always joining.
At that point I started increasing as I went along (measuring it on my hand).
At the right height, ch 2 and sl st in other side of the glove to leave an opening for the thumb; continuing back and forth stitching in ch 2 and leaving the thumb part undone.
At the top, I reduced gradually to make it nice and rounded, reducing number of cables as well (fpdctog cables 1-2, 3-4, 5-6) then, next right side row, (fpdctog cables 1-2-3).
I made the thumb separately (starting top down) but using the same stitch motif and attached it afterwards.
Finally, I ended by rejoining the yarn at the top back of the glove (the place that will be tucked inside, just below the wrist) and did an sc row along the edge to give it a more polished look, and continued along the bottom to do the finishing ribbing (fpdc, bpdc).
Then, I turned and did a sc border along the side that will have the button holes, continuing back & forth along that edge in main stitch pattern to make a flap, in which I made 5 buttonholes (ch 2, skip next (sc, dc)).
For the left and right mitts, I made the cables (see the thumbnail at the bottom of this post) at opposite ends of the fdc (made after first 8 dc for left hand and before last 8 dc for right hand).
I also worked both pieces simultaneously so they would be exactly the same.
I has some extra yarn left so I decided to make a matching headband:
<--- Click on picture to see a detail of the cable pattern. Where the cables cross, full lines represent the cables on top and the broken lines are the cables underneath (sorry about the poor quality of the picture).
Hope this helps!!! If anything's unclear, let me know and I'll try to explain it some other way
Comments, (constructive) critisism, and suggestions are always more than welcome
st = stitch sl st = slip stitch rs = right side ws = wrong side ch = chain sc = single crochet dc = double crochet fdc = foundation double crochet fpdc = front post double crochet bpdc = back post double crochet fptr = front post treble crochet fpdctog = front post double crochet together
Hey gang, sorry I've been a little quiet on the gallery... I've been sort of preoccupied lately. Packages so far have been amazing!
I'm really glad you liked it ehinders!!! I'm quite happy with the result, especially since it was my first time doing filet crochet... On the back, it's the symbol of Rassilon (from Dr. Who). You had a few shawls and a few Dr. Who items on your Wists which inspired this shawl.
Here's another pic:
And one of the baby set (because I just can't resist making anything for a baby!):