2 cups textured vegetable protein, chunks (not granules) or 2 cups extra firm tofu (cubed, *see note)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce*
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons steak spice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1/3 cup water
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a small saucepan; add dry TVP or tofu.
- Over medium heat, bring to a boil; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat and allow to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- You can now proceed to next step, or: pour everything into a Ziploc bag and squeeze out all the air. Refrigerate and allow to marinate 1 hour or overnight.
- On a cookie sheet or dehydrator tray, distribute TVP or tofu chunks so that they are not touching and brush on any remaining marinade.
- Giving the pan an occasionnal shake, bake at 175F for 3 to 4 hours, or until desired texture is attained.
And there you have it!
*If you want the recipe to be truly vegetarian, make sure you check the ingredients in the Worcestershire sauce.
NOTE: To prepare tofu, squeeze out as much water as possible. You can also freeze it for a meatier texture.
Check out the 3Men Jerky Recipes' website for several marinade recipes or, for a entirely different twist, try this Asian Marinade.