Healthy + delicious + chewy + vegan + inexpensive + easy = my favourite jerky!!! Recipe is made with my own personal marinade, but you can go ahead and make your own (see links below for other ideas). Though this can be made with either, I largely prefer the TVP (textured vegetable protein) over the tofu. I recommend the longer marinating time for the tofu. I've made tofu jerky in the past, but since trying it with TVP, I've never gone back... it's just so much easier and the texture is closer to the real stuff. A dehydrator is not required.
2 cups textured vegetable protein, chunks (not granules) or 2 cups extra firm tofu (cubed, *see note)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce*
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons steak spice
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
1/3 cup water
Combine all the marinade ingredients in a small saucepan; add dry TVP or tofu.
Over medium heat, bring to a boil; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat and allow to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
You can now proceed to next step, or: pour everything into a Ziploc bag and squeeze out all the air. Refrigerate and allow to marinate 1 hour or overnight.
On a cookie sheet or dehydrator tray, distribute TVP or tofu chunks so that they are not touching and brush on any remaining marinade.
Giving the pan an occasionnal shake, bake at 175F for 3 to 4 hours, or until desired texture is attained.
And there you have it!
*If you want the recipe to be truly vegetarian, make sure you check the ingredients in the Worcestershire sauce.
NOTE: To prepare tofu, squeeze out as much water as possible. You can also freeze it for a meatier texture.
I followed a great pattern called Capucine. The yarn I used for the hat is Bernat Mosaic. I like how this project used just enough yarn to go through every colour of the rainbow, without repeating. For the tassels, I used several colours of yarn, each with a different texture.
It looks a little small on me, but that's because it's for a pre-teen. All in all, I'm quite happy with it!
C & C appreciated, and here's a last picture of me being silly.
This is the first time I've needle-felted anything, and I'm quite proud of it! I jotted down the mushroom on a piece of paper first to get an idea of the shape, but the hedgehog and flowers were all done as I went. I made it on a piece of red commercial felt. The inside is "sealed" with a layer of fabric mod podge. I had quite a battle with the ball clasp as I'd never tried installing one before (hence the dings and glue stains) . Lesson learned: it's better to make the piece larger than the frame rather than the same size as it shrinks during felting. Enough said, on to the pictures!
Question: how do you remove your finished item without destroying the foam mat?
This is my second attempt at needle felting (I'll be posting the first shortly). It was made for a friend going into the hospital. She's got a nose, arms& hands, little braids, and is holding a peace lily.
I made this horse for a swap and I must say I'm quite proud of it! It's not done in Tunisian but using the Flat Tapestry Crochet technique. It's basically tapestry crochet, but instead of turning your work around at the end of each row, you switch hands (1 row left-hand, 1 row right-hand) - I can now officially say I'm an ambidextrous crocheter
I started with this image (found on Google) and, using KnitPro, turned it into this chart. Then I painstakingly re-coloured all the squares in my 6 colours (using Fireworks) and ta-da:
I used less than one skein of each colour (black, burgundy, red, orange, yellow, peach). Since I had so many colours, I didn't carry them, so the back was pretty messy, but I hid everything with some felt. I mounted it on 2 wooden dowels which I painted in black and added some frilly ribbon to give it a more finished look.
I just discovered the wonders of linked crochet and had been wanting to make myself a hooded neckwarmer for a while now. I figured this would be the perfect technique for this project as it's so easy to shape the piece without there being any holes between longer stitches...
Here's how it turned out:
And it's reversible:
I can also fold the edge over if I don't want it to be as deep:
This picture shows the difference in the look of the stitches on each side:
A few other pictures:
I'm really happy with how it turned out and it's really comfy and warm! Thanks for looking