So you can usually sew 3 sides and part of the 4th side before you turn it right side out and stuff it. Once you have stuffed it, I find that the easiest and neatest way to make a clean finish is to put the sides together with the raw edges folded in just like they would have been if you could sew all the way around, then pin it, then sew it. You can do it by hand with a whip stitch or if you don't have the pillow stuffed too full, on the machine. Just make sure you tie the ends of the thread off when you're done.
For a removable cover, it is really fun and easy to make a sham closure- just make one side of the pillowcase about 4 inches longer than the other. The long side, just cut in half, then turn over the raw edges and sew, then when you put the pillowcase together, you have all the right sides facing toward each other, and the two pieces you made overlap each other. This is cool because you don't need any notions to finish it, although buttons are a nice addition.
One time on Trading Spaces, I saw them build a sofa out of MDF, then for the bottom cushion, they used a twin mattress, and for the back they used a fun pool noodle covered in batting, then fabric. I have been thinking of attempting something similiar. I have basic carpentry skills but I am wondering if I would be better off buying a new sofa. The one on the show I think they basically made two so it was a sectional thing which would be cool. I'd kind of like to have one like that along a wall, but the other part of the "L" I'd like to have a back so it would be freestanding and wouldn't have to go against a wall.
there are these connector things for pvc that'll connect them end to end and they probably have ones that look like little t's (if you go to lowes or home depot they'll know what they're called) I used them for a design project when I was in college. I hope this helps
Thanks. I tried some of the T shaped ones but the PVC kept popping out just from the stress of being in the circle shape. I think with a good adhesive they might stay in though. Maybe now is the time to order some of that Gorilla Glue stuff.
Just a marketing idea- I wonder if Dentist's offices would be interested in getting some of these? Maybe you could send a little brochure in the mail or e-mail the link to dentists. Great stuff! Have you considered making any of them half-size?
I started one the other day and am using itty bitty zip ties to hold the tabs together. That is if your going for a more linear, structured look though. I really like the one in this thread because it is so organic looking and makes for a nice dichotomy with the manmade pop can tabs. Plus the way it is made only of those makes it really cool.
I had some cool wrapping paper left over from a friend's present that I really wanted to use to make something cool. I have had these yellow TV trays that are really retro and functional but ugly, so we never use them.
I decoupaged the wrapping paper on the TV tray (after a quick once over with some sandpaper), then applied clear contact paper on top of that. I made sure I decoupaged all the way over the edge and a little on the bottom where the papers edges held on. When I was all done, I trimmed all the edges with an exacto knife to make sure there was nothing hanging off underneath. I really like the effect. I'm going to try more. I have some chalkboard black contact paper too, maybe I'll put that on a couple of them so we can draw on them with chalk.
My fav closure option- one I think would work for this- is the pillow sham type closure- with felt it will be easy because you don't have to hem under any cut edges. Just make the flap like normal, but sew completely up both sides including where the sides of the flaps lay, then you can just sort of open the flap and slide out whatever is inside. Also, you may want to trim down the top of the inside, so that the flap will be accessible.
I use this all the time because i am too lazy to do buttons or zippers or anything. I used it alot last christmas because I made everyone rice comfort bags they could put in the microwave and use as comfy heating pads. I made removable covers they could take off and wash.
If you don't know what I mean, let me know and I'll post a picture. I think I am going to make some of those awesome CD cozies out of extra felt I have lying around- felt won't scratch the CDs will it?
Well the costume didn't get completed for Halloween '04, but maybe for next year! I tried CPVC rods but the problem there is that I made the rods to go halfway around the circle, and they poked at at the places where the rods met. My tentative plan for the next phase is to order clear PVC, then overlap the rods where they meet, and bind them together somehow.
I have been using an adhesive release tape to join the vinyl- it's less messy than vinyl glue and bonds almost immediately but can be released if you peel a piece off. I don't know if I'll continue to use the same stuff. I still feel I accomplished a lot because I got the whole vinyl bubble, the arms, and various props done.
I'll update/post pics if I every make any more progress.
I started making a Bubble Boy costume for my husband about a month ago. I bought lots of clear vinyl and took forever getting all the pieces cut/put together to make a sphere. I bought some clear acrylic rods which I thought I would thread through tabs I had made on the inside. Unfortunately, the rods keep breaking. I notice they break right next to where a tab is, so I'm thinking maybe I can make the sleeve the whole length of the seam and maybe that will help. Anyway, I have put so much energy into this now that I don't want to quit. Besides, if I can finish it, I think it will be really awesome. Arghhh.