Thanks, y'all. I can't lie - I'm madly in love with this little quilt.
It came out much nicer than I imagined it would, wavy borders or not.
I like the method you took to get your final quilt blocks. I might have to try that sometime.
It was really fun to do. The stack and whack method is what I call "safely" liberated. It reminds me of this book I read when I was a kid about a girl who was supposed to attend a hard times party and instead of committing fully and dressing poor (like in a dress made from an old flour sack) she just sewed a few patches onto her best dress. Anyway. Safe is not my thing. But the stack and whack way was a good start to the crazy blocks I ended up with.
I will tell you that you lose quite a bit when you decide to piece them like this. I started with 8" squares of fabric and the blocks as they are in the quilt are only 5 1/2". They finished at 6" before I set them in the quilt. They probably could have been 6 1/2" and ended in the quilt at 6" but there were a couple that were short on one side and instead of adding a piece, I just trimmed them all to the size of the smallest one and rolled with that.
A couple of the blocks on the back started as traditional 9 patch blocks, not wonky. I cut those apart on angles, sewed them together, and cut them again. They ended up with much larger patches of some of the fabrics which I like ok but that's not what I wanted for the overall quilt.
Thanks much for looking at this. It's two long weekends of work and I'm right pleased with it.