I love this idea! We have a serious spice management problem at my house, so this was perfect!!
Plus, I've seen these tins at Axman. Long live AXMAN!! For me to make something, it has to be creative AND cheap!
The big tins were 95 cents each. The next size down were 75 cents each. I bought a bunch and went to town.
Here's my 'frige (so far)
There are a couple of questions that have come up in this thread, so I'll give my solutions.
1) Magnets. Sheet magnets are way too weak to hold the tin and spice contents. I experimented with a few different types. Axman had "super-strong" magnets, 3 for $4. You only need one for each tin. It's totally secure, and in fact, it's a little too strong. The magnet pulls the tin out of your hands as you get close to the fridge. Axman also had slightly weaker magnets, 10 for $3. You have to use three per tin, but it's cheaper and feels better. The only downside of these magnets is that they leave a slight residue on the fridge if you move them around. We learned not to move 'em, so it's fine.
Here are the magnets.
2) Glue: I use Elmer's Stix-All. No problem at all. A little stinky when using, but dries oderless.
3) Lid security: This was my biggest concern. The ones at Axman did not create a tight pressure fit. So after a little experimentation, I figured that a tiny crimp on the base tin kept everything tight.
Here's me crimping:
and here's what the crimp looks like:
I also found this neat little box at Axman, so I added a sheet magnet (which is strong enough to hold the plastic case and bay leaves).
Thanks so much for the idea!!