This financial tracking device will help me realize my New Year's Resolution to track my daily spending and reduce it. Okay, so it's not a high-tech thingy, it's a low-tech notebook with a high-style hand-crafted cover.
I didn't want to spend any money on the materials used for this craft as reducing my spending is the point, so everything I used are items I had on hand.
The base of it is a barely-used notebook I've had laying around for a while. It allows me to fit a lot on its pages and it has a neat pocket in the front.
I toyed with the idea of making a money collage with real paper money, of hot-gluing pennies all over the cover or spelling something out with them, but those ideas were a waste of money and not in keeping with my "theme."
Then I thought about the various green fabrics I have left over from a recent quilting project and the idea started from there.
First, one morning at work, I scanned the dollar bills I had in my wallet at the time. Luckily, I had gotten there early so I was alone and didn't have to explain myself.
Second, I ironed three fabric pieces onto one piece of freezer paper cut to 8.5" x 11" so it could go through the printer (inkjet) to print the money I scanned*. This is the first time I have ever done this technique and I am very impressed. It worked perfectly! I used the instructions found here: http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/imagefabric.html
Next I used Heat-n-bond to affix the printed fabric to a piece of muslin so I could add some sewing embellishments. I sewed around the bills and I used the lettering feature of my machine for the first time ever.
Lastly, I hot-glued the fabric to the cover of the notebook and covered the frayed edges on the inside with a piece of paper to remind me what the book is for.
What a craft-o-rama of a project! Even though there is a thing or two I would have done differently to make it a little better, I am very happy with the end result and I love using it.
* There is something wickedly fun about printing money. I even felt a thrill just scanning it.