Alright, so my room is very funkaaay, and I needed to get some pillows to go with. What better to do than sew? So I went to walmart and picked up some fabric, and pillow inserts, and lookie what I came up with. Not the best sewing job, but eh, Im not too good with aligning squares. Something musthave gone wrog in my math portion of the brain. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/roxiobabe711/IM000239.jpg
Anyhow, heres the tutorial, enjoy.
1/2 yard white fabric (you could use any color you want, its just for the back
1/4 yard each of diffrent color fabrics (I used 4 diff. colors, you can use how many ever you want.
18x18 inch pillow insert
14-18inch zipper (doesnt really matter, anywhere from 14-18 inch will do
Iorn, Sewing machine, straight pins (the obvious, self explanitory
Alirighty, moving onto the steps.
1) Figure out how many squares you will need to fit 18 inch pillow. I used 25 squares, but you may use a diff. size pillow, or whatever.
2) Cut all of your fabric into 4x4 inch squares.
3) Lay them out on a flat surface, making sure that you like the pattern they are in.
4) Sew them by rows and colums. Ex. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/roxiobabe711/balh.bmp
-sew all red seams first, then connect them by blue, if that makes scence. At the end, all the squares should be one piece.
5) Press ( with iorn XD ) the piece so all the seams lay flat.
6) Cut a piece of backing fabric that is the same dimentions of the squares fabric. (ex, if your squares = 18in, make your backing fabric 18in)
7) Sew the backing fabric to the square piece, on THREE SIDES, IMPORTANT, THE 4TH SIDE IS FOR THE ZIPPER.
now comes the zipper part ,bear with me.
1) Fold both the fabrics over about 1/4 an inch, and pin them. Seperate the zipper, and attatch one side of the zipper so it would look normal. Sew onto both sides and finish of the ends.
^ woah, sorry guys, Im really not good with explaining zippers. Um, try websites for zipper attatchments, if you dont know how. Im not too skilled.
-Now, insert the pillow insert into the pillow that you made.
More pics : http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/roxiobabe711/IM000242.jpg
<-- put against a rotary mat, to show size.http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/roxiobabe711/IM000241.jpg
<--- bad picture of the side seams. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/roxiobabe711/IM000240.jpg
<-- Evil zipper http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/roxiobabe711/IM000243.jpg
<-- Just to show how the pillow goes with my sheets/window vallance.
Once again, sorry for the really unclear directions. Ask me, and ill attempt to clear up any uncertainties, which im sure there will be. Peacee