This is my first completed project on Craftster. (Yea!) Quite strange that it's under the needlework board considering I'm more of a knitter, but nonetheless, I would greatly appreciate any comments, advice, etc. I'm pretty happy with it considering it's my first embroidery project. Since I haven't posted the minimum 10(yet!), I'll link to the blog entry where the story is told.http://juiceboxrants.blogspot.com/2008/09/which-would-tin-man-prefer.html
Anywho, basically it was tote bag I got at Michael's that somehow ended up embroidered with robots shopping for a heart. The design is my own concoction i cooked up on paint (haha) and inspired by my great love of robots. I can't build them, but I can craft them! Most of it was done by hand, but some ended up machine sewn/embroidered.
Oh quick note, I don't think the robot entry has any sailor language (key word "think"), but other parts of the blog might, including the list that is currently up. Just letting you know
Also many apologies for the parentheses. They just happen to be one of my favorite punctuation marks which means I overuse them
***Edit: So what happens when you stay up watching Graham Norton and looking about on Craftser? More posting! So since I've reached the required number (surpassed possibly) here are the pictures, though feel free to check the blog out anyway, if you'd like.
So here's the overall view. To give you a sense of the bag size, it fits my laptop and then some. Yeah awesome school bag! The color choice for the bag isn't the best considering the amount of red embroidery, and the yellow is random, but when I bought the bag I was intending on screen printing, not embroidering lol
I'd originally used a very chain-like split stitch by hand to do the robots outlines, but it looked wonky so i did the third by machine. It looked great so I undid the other two and machine embroidered them as well. The faces and hearts were done by hand.
The straps were pretty fun. I wanted some of those awesome retro starbursts, but after some advice, it seemed that the robots took were enough for the front, but the straps were bare ready for some yellow! The lining is a purple plaid I had lying around.
Here's Sad Robot Number 1's zombie heart. I was quite proud of this one. It was my first of the three. Though, If I could do it again I would not have done the satin stitch, because the stitches are a tad bit long and the middle ones are running the risk of becoming loose. I particularly enjoy the bloody bits.
Speaking of bloody bits, here's Sad Robot Number 2's heart. I might be most proud of this one. It's as close to a human heart as I could draw on my own. It's hard to see the two different colors in person, but I'm glad the camera somehow got the color right.
And finally Happy Robot's metal heart. It didn't fill as well as the others, but the thread was thinner spool thread so it was mildly expected. I'll just say that it looks like the grain metal gets when you sand it
Anywho, the rivets are made with french knots. I wasn't looking at the original drawing when i was adding them, so i ended up adding more than I intended.