I am SO excited to be able to post this. For the FIRST time in my career in this craftalong I am able to turn in an OWL. This year has been a remarkable year for me in the terms of productivity and general life functioning. A little over a year ago I began treatment for narcolepsy and slowly everything in my life began to change. I am able to complete more complicated projects and make progress in my art and music that I've never been able to make before. Anyway, my ability to focus on larger projects that may take more than one sitting to complete has drastically improved. It's no secret that ErinAquaheart and I have gone through some trying times over the years that we have been participating, and this community has really helped keep us going through many, many challenges in life.
OWL Subject & Option (if available): Muggle Studies
Project Name: Muggle Fairy tale Art Toy Series
Over all of the time that I have had to work on this I have gone through several incarnations of my concept. I originally saw myself working with a wider variety of materials, including an original cast resin edition, and some vinyl figures, but our circumstances being what they are when it came down to execution I had to stick with the materials I had on hand, therefore all of my pieces are folk dolls. I did however focus on trying to explore different techniques involving textiles. With The Cowardly lion I saw what it was like to just draw on fabric like I would on paper and I attempted to give him a sort of sketchy look like he was a doodle come to life. With the lion I Also explored painting with dyes instead of thicker paint, but I also used some dimensional paint and some glow in the dark paint. I then experimented with stitching to create a pattern on him. I'm pretty happy with how he tuned out. He is around 12x18 inches. With Glinda, I wanted to definitely come up with my own concept for her; maintaining her identity as a character without ripping off other designs. With her I tried out thicker paint on the fabric and went for a more illustrative quality to the drawing than I did with the lion. I added texture by crocheting layers of lace for the bottom of her skirt.
Here's my preliminary sketch for Glinda: you can see how she changed as I went along.
I wanted to make sure I covered two different time periods so for my next group of them I chose Snow White and Rose Red. I wanted the look of these to be more stylized and minimal in contrast to the sort of blingy Wizard of Oz ones. To achieve this I went with print carving. I had so much fun carving the print blocks that it inspired me to use more print making techniques in a wide range of art. The ink came out a little lighter than I anticipated on the fabric but I kept it because I liked how ghost like they looked, but if I were making a play set for a child or to be handled by many people I would find a different ink.
Above I showed the process of drawing the design, carving the blocks, and the test prints, Which I was so happy with. I really can't wait to use my carved blocks with other things. And here are my little folk dolls: