I decided to wear a red dress for my our school's annual auction. I bought a lovely red dress but then realized that I actually wanted to make one
And a little more modest so that parents don't think their kids' teacher is inappropriate
So, I bought this awesome decorator's silk fabric:
and started messing around with patterns to get the look I wanted. This red dress was my inspiration (what I want mine to look like):
While adapting the pattern pieces I made a mock-up, that actually ended up wearable
I want to move the pleats a little more towards the center of the skirt, and not rip the fabric when pulling it through the shoulder straps (will make them wider next time). But all in all, I am pretty happy about the final (or, rather, semi-final
It was a lot of fun adapting the bodice piece from standard neckline to this oval shaped cut-out (there is a clear snap sewn onto the lining). I did it all on paper first and then cut the fabric. The drawing (and re-drawing and re-drawing), to get the exact shape of the oval, was fun.