I made two new outfits for summer in the past month.
Here's my latest creation -- a green cotton pique summer dress!
I got the fabric a couple of years ago at a local fabric shop for about $1.99/yard (I bought about 5 yards!). I used a McCall's pattern M4829 (view D) that I won on eBay some time ago.
This was my first time successfully making spaghetti straps! I bought a Dritz "Loop Turner" at JoAnn Fabrics, and even though it took a couple of tries (and shredded the easily-shredible fabric), I was able to make them. This was also my first time making pleats.
A few weeks ago, I finished this top and skirt:
I made the shirt from New Look Pattern # 6176, View A, from some 70s pink, brown and black roller skating fabric that I got off eBay. I didn't have my loop turner yet, and became increasingly frustrated with trying to turn the spaghetti straps, so I used satin ribbon and the hardware needed to make bra straps (i.e., the straps are adjustable!). I also used the ribbon for the mock-corseting in the back -- there are loops on either side, and I just put a ribbon through them and tie a nice bow.
I refashioned the skirt from a dress I had made years ago that was too big for me. It's still a little big; I may take apart the waistband and put darts in it.
I think I'm all set for summer now!
More pics of the top & skirt combo at this blog post: http://zantimissknit.blogspot.com/2006/06/im-not-dead.html