* What drives you to sew your own clothing?
can't always find what I want ready made, and I like to sew and create my own look
* What sizes do you buy clothes in and can you find the types of clothing that you like in your size?
XL-XXL. I can find some things I like, mostly tops
* Besides pants, which is the answer everyone has to this question: What fit difficulties to you find in garments that you purchase at stores?
armholes gape on sleeveless tops; tops and pants are too short (I'm 5'10")
* Are you an apple, pear, hourglass or straight? I'm such a pear!
Apple. So when I find pants that fit my waist, the hips and thighs balloon like a clown suit and make me look bigger than I am.
* Do you keep your patterns once you sew a garment from them?
yes, with copious notes about what I liked, changed, hated
* Do you like the level of detail that you find in sewing patterns, in terms of garment styling? What do you feel isn't being offered by traditional sewing pattern companies?
There is a huge range of quality and detail in commercial patterns
I'd like to see more patterns designed for my body type. There used to be a series called HOAX (letters represent different body shapes), but as I recall, patterns for the O/Apple shape were too matronly. Only skinny girls look good in crew necklines and short sleeves. Don't get me started on peter pan collars.
* Do you ever alter patterns? If so, what type of alterations do you do?
I made myself a duct-tape-dummy and do everything from draping from scratch to making minor changes on commercial patterns.
* Do you ever buy patterns online and print them at home? If not, would you?
I tried it 15 years ago or so, and it did not work well. The technology has probably improved, but I'm scarred for life.
* Have you ever run into difficulties with a sewing pattern that made you quit the project? What happened?
bad sizing or bad work on my part resulted in a terminally useless garment. Ragbag it and move on.
* Where do you buy fabrics for your garments?
Fabric store and Walmart (there is one of each in my area), quilt stores, garage and rummage sales. I also refashion clothes bought used (my favorite).
Good luck on your new business!