I finally wandered my way over to this board & thought I'd share one of my favorites. I took from about 6 recipes I had found and smooshed them together using only the parts I liked...enjoy! note: I never measure when I make it, but these are very close.
this pic used chopped chicken instead of shredded - I really preferred the shredded
1 1/2 pounds chicken breast halves without skin, cooked & shredded
<easier to shred if boil it in veggie broth>
1 medium onion, chopped
1 whole green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups low sodium chicken or veggie broth
1 cup salsa
2 14-oz cans diced tomato, opt. with green chiles, undrained -or fresh equivalent-
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup light sour cream - optional
1/4 cup cheddar cheese - optional
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1. Cook chicken - either roast, bake or poach - your choice. then shred
2. Preheat oven to 350*.
3. Cut each tortilla in half & cut those halves into 1/4-inch strips. Arrange tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 6 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring after 3 minutes. Cool completely.
4. In large saucepan heat oil over med-hi heat.
5. Add onion, green pepper & garlic. Saute until soft, about 3 minutes.
6. Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, salsa, chili powder, basil, oregano, cumin & pepper and bring to a boil.
7. Stir in chicken. Cover & simmer 30 minutes or longer. If soup seems too thick add more broth.
8. Stir tortilla strips into soup. Serve hot.
9. Top each serving with 1T cheese, cilantro & 1T sour cream (optional)