My husband can't pass up a garage sale, and therefore we have a pretty good collection of unplayable and worthless old albums. I decided it was time to include them in my collection of "stuff to make other stuff out of" and here's what I came up with:
It looks like the binding pinches in at the top in this pic, but that's just the weight of the signatures pulling it out of shape. It's not actually crooked like that.
Inside front cover - I opted to leave the record more or less as-is, aside from lopping off the edges and drilling holes in it. And gluing cloth tape around the sides (it was pretty sharp and I didn't want it to eventually saw through the binding stitches).
I couldn't get rid of dear old sweet Jim, so his face is preserved on the inside back cover.
I've never bound a book like this before - is this kind of a gap between signatures normal for coptic stitch binding? (I think that's what this is called, I learned how to do it on YouTube, lol) If it's not normal, what did I do wrong? Everything was pretty darn snug.
The ribbon around the edge is some old (er, "vintage"!) bias tape out of a bunch of fabric stuff I inherited from my grandma. Probably collectible to someone but my gran would much rather see me glue it to a cut up old record than sell it on ebay! It's called ATOM RED and I really love it. The back cover is a cut out from the album's cardboard cover, stuck together with spray adhesive and covered on the back with some textured vellum. There are ten 5-page signatures so a total of 100 pages.
I'm giving it as a gift to a friend (a month late birthday gift, whoops!) along with some basic supplies to make it easy to put pictures in it, etc. The album title is "The Things I Love" and she has a baby so it works out really well.