This is one of those never-ending projects, a crash landed UFO (UnFinished Object) that finally got finished! I'm really happy
This is part of DeStash-along 2014 so I'll list the materials.
At least four years ago a friend brought the plaster frame to me because it was broken and apparently could not be fixed. You can see the cracs on the corners where the plaster had cracked. The wooden frame beneath the plaster was a bit loose but otherwise fine, so I accepted the frame. I knew instantly that I'd want to use it to make a jewelry holder.
the sea chart I got from someone, who said it was out of date and too worn and torn to be used, but that she thought I might think of something to do with it. Sea chart is kind of like a map and maps are just awesome! So I said yes even though I had no idea what I would make of it (earlier I've used it for cards and there's still some left).
The lace is leftover from a steampunk style skirt I made. It was the exact right lenght for this project! No leftovers \o/
The hooks I had bought for my kitchen. Screwing them on the board beneath my top cupboards proved to be so difficult that I decided one was enough. These three have been waiting for a new purpose for two years.
Corkboard I got through a recycling group on Facebook.
Oaints: green I already had. The gold and glitter I had to buy. They are the only things I bought for this!
Last week when I decided to finally finish this project I intended to go buy some kind of lace and hooks and other stuff, but then I found the DeStash-along and decided to make do with what I had at home. I'm really glad I did, because I didn't need to wait for a chance to go to the stores and I was able to put these materials in use instead of just storing them.
The frame without jewelry. And in this photo you can see that the hooks are not straight, but it doesn't matter as I only noticed it in this photo.
I glued the loose corners and painted the frame first with green, then applied gold to highlight the ornaments and last I added some glitter.
I re-positioned the wire in the back. (The frame used to be horizontal.)
I cut the cork board and glued the chart on it. And the lace on the chart. Then glued the cork board behind the frame. It was the exact right thickness.
Then I screwed the hooks through the cork board (lot easier than screwing them on the kitchen board ). The difficult part was cutting the extra length off of the screws so they wouldn't scratch the wall. i tried cutting them and sawing them but finally had to ask for help.
A picture of one of the cracks. I think they just add to the frame and make it more interesting. There's actually a small piece missing from one corner (the edges of the crack had broken off), but I just painted it over and now you can hardly notice it. This is also a detail of the paint job.
It's hard to understand how it took four years to finish something that was so easy to explain, but I suppose I just needed the time to think through different solutions while I focused on other things.
Most of the jewerly is also my designs. (Although you can't really see them.)