My first successful pair of mitts. I have no circulation so my hands get very cold, and I need something I can type and mouse in at work.
I put a rolled up pillowcase inside to show the butterfly better
Because it's hard to take a picture of your own hand!
I used this free pattern: http://suzies-yarnie-stuff.blogspot.com/2009/09/suzies-butterfly-mitts-c.html
My only changes were to do one extra round of ribbing at the top for my long hands, and to do 13 sc in the thumbs instead of 12 - no matter how many times I tried, I couldn't make 12 look right without having a lumpy decrease.
The yarn is Simply Soft paints. I started out trying with a black yarn, but I couldn't count the stitches in black on black and gave up.
I bought two skeins and worked on both mitts at once, doing a couple of rounds on one and then stitching. It's the only way I could make them come out the same.
As far as wearbility goes, the butterfly stitch sort of makes a gather, so it pulls it tight where some gloves would have a button. great design feature, it fits nicely when I move my hands. I thought at first it would look better with the butterfly higher on the back of the hand, but it would act like a decrease on the broadest part of my hand so I guess not.
I want to try the same design with a sock yarn so it's less bulky, but obviously it will require altering the pattern to have more stitches per round.