Here is what my final product looks like -
And here is what I originally picked up at Goodwill -
First I ripped the dingy silk covering off the shade...
then put nautical rope on to the lamp base. (no in-process photo for that, as I needed six hands to do it. I didn't have six hands, so i used my feet and knees.
Then I measured and painted these six panels.
The whale may be my fave, but the anchor is always a real love of mine.
I chose M63 to put on the bouy 'cause M is my initial and 63 is my year.
The flag also represents the letter M.
and glued 'em all on, a rather Hellish process...
then added rope to the panel divisions.
In general, I think my $1.29 purchase went quite a long way...