made for the shrine swap, for a curiosity cabinet theme.
Used an old small bell type alarm clock....
I made a scroll telling of all the pieces within this display-
I made tiny shelves where oddities can perch
and put stuff on the sides
I will check back tomorrow to this post and list the weird and wonderful supplies that went into its making. Just now I have to go to bed!
Ok, I am back and here are some of the odd 'ingredients' I used to build these items....
the beetle was in the china closet of my family home for about 25 years, just drying and being bored out of his little mind. I painted it and stuck nail-polished porcupine quills on his back.
the medusa on the side is one of those old cameo pieces. I used twirled embroidery thread for her hair snakes and the teeniest tiniest bits of red thread for the tongues.
the black widow spider on the other side is a bit of paper, hanging on a black thread and her web began as a piece of a lace napkin, got at a thrift shop. It was pretty near a web already, I just glued more thread on in concentric circles.
the scroll with words is from a 1960 book, paper already nicely faded, rolled up into a drinking straw and covered with wrapping paper.
the feet in the clock were the tips of bones I found by the road side.
I also found a dead turkey vulture or hawk or something and stole a large claw to be the beak of the whateveritis and put a turkey feather behind it. the pink headfeathers of that creature are glued n stiffened bits of geranium off my windowsill.
the merman was created by chopping in half one of those plastic miniature people from a railroad set. I made his fishy tail by gluing cornsilk together, molding it, and painting it.
the conjoined twins at the bottom are just two more tiny people, cut and glued back together. I added fabric scraps for shirts.
The 'Wicklow Fairy' who sits on a bit of bone is also a mini plastic person. She holds a flower of floss stem with another bit of geranium at the top. Her hair is cornsilk, her wings are maple seed wings.
the creepy creature next to her has a cut bone head and floss tongue.
Eyeball is a large bead.
Dragon head on the right was created by manipulating and painting a qtip head. Fangs are porcupine quills. the egg it originally came out of was made by putting glue on the outside of a miniature xmas bulb, allowed to dry, pulled off, and painted.
The cobweb that partially hides things is some white acrylic yarn that pulls apart easily. Dyed grey.
the skull is from a chimpunk, found in back yard by a neighbor and given to me, cuz he knows I am that weird. I attached a porcupine quill on that, turning it into a unicorn type critter.
The pages glued on the outside are supposed to represent a curiosity cabinet's filing system of putting numbers to id the contents. It is acutally a tide chart from a sailors book.
Acadian Driftwood took these amazing photos for me for which I thank her!!