For my dinosaur-obsessed nephew on his third birthday ...
iSpy bag! (with dinosaurs, and lots of other goodies)
My sewing is getting better. It was my first attempt at grommets. I love the look, but next time I hammer the grommets on cement, I'll place a towel between the fabric and the cement! (Little tiny rips where the fabric caught on the cement - but a little bit of fray check helps hide them.)
Drawstring bag for ...
Dinosaur Train memory match!
Printed the filed guide from Dinosaur Train's website, and used some camouflage scrapbook paper on the reverse. If I had thought about it ahead of time, I would've scanned in the fabric and printed my own matching paper. Oh well - I'm happy with the overall project!
When I ordered my new 2011-2012 calendar, I assumed it would be black. After all, the one pictured was black, and there wasn't an option to choose a color or even a note explaining that you'll get whatever color they decide to send. So I was surprised to find that my new calendar was the most ugly shade of brown imaginable! I couldn't imagine looking at it for a whole year!
Thankfully, a co-worker had a pattern for a legal pad cover - I was able to use her pattern to make a super-nice cover for my agenda (with just a couple of mods).
(Also made the monthly tabs - it was a pain to try to flip between months without them!)
We need some Halloween decorations, and my husband and I love horror movies, so a horror movie-inspired house seemed like a natural fit! I've been working on my version for over a year now. Picking out all the little accessories was super fun! Here's the finished house:
The outside front:
From the sides:
(The skeleton in the closet and the hands reaching up onto the bed glow in the dark.)
(The skeleton coming out of the toilet glows in the dark.)
I didn't have enough chain around to make a necklace, so I whipped up a bracelet instead:
(terrible picture - typical Ohio rainy day)
I think the bracelet needs more ... umph ... or something, but I'll add to it later. Maybe some charms or something ...
Anyway, when I fused the bubble wrap, I thought, "There's no way this is going to look like the pictures in the tute. This is going to suck." But once I started punching out the circles, I'm really pleased with how nice they look!
My nephew is obsessed with dinosaurs! I've had this child's red t-shirt around for forever, left over from a prior craft project. Since I had all my stenciling supplies out anyway, why not stencil a dino shirt, inspired by all the other cute dino shirts out there?
I've recently redecorated our guest bedroom in a superhero/comic book theme. While searching for inspiration, I found these awesome pillows: http://www.jellio.com/store/pillow.html#. The bad news? They're $60. Each. Yikes.
I've had these plain t-shirts for a while, leftover from another project, so I decided to use them to make my own sound effects pillow covers:
Close up pictures of each pillow:
Sewing them was an adventure. My first time sewing piping and my first time changing the foot on my sewing machine and using the zipper foot!
All three pillows were supposed to have envelope backs. I won't lie - there were some cross words when I realized I cut the yellow shirt incorrectly! The yellow one had to be sewn closed after the stenciling like a regular old pillow. Both red pillows have the envelope back though!
Creating and using the freezer paper stencils was fun, too. I always love peeling the stencil off for the big reveal!
We've lived in our house for about eight years. Slowly but surely we're making our way through each room of the house, finally making each room our own. We have a tiny spare bedroom that we've wanted to keep as a guest room until we're able to have children. Previously, the room was painted a weird/hideous shade of super pale blue/kinda blue-ish white:
After lots of brainstorming, we decided on a comic book/superhero theme for the room. We couldn't settle on a particular superhero ... heck, we couldn't even decide between DC and Marvel ... so I decided to go with a general comic/superhero feel. One morning, the idea of doing a simple comic panel on one of the walls just hit me. I'm not great at drawing, so the thought was intimidating until I realized that a city scape would be easy. After a few scheduled vacation days from work, here's the finished mural:
And, the fail shot - taken after my dear husband pulled on one of the dangly ends:
Now I remember why I got rid of the bead loom I used to own. Other than the husband-induced fail, I'm happy with the result. IF I were to try this again, I would definitely spend the $5 to get a new loom instead of crafting one with cardboard and an old box. And, I would spend the extra cash on nicer seed beads - the kind packaged in the neat little pre-sorted tubes. Sure, $2.99 for a big ole bag of seed beads sound great ... until I realized the size differences in the beads and the holes! Lessons learned - it part of being a crafter!