I enlarge the pattern so that a square was 12 inches. That way the quilt was only 3 by 3 blocks plus a border to accommodate the extra points.
As for the piecing, I followed the numbering system on the block.pdf file. Think of it as two triangles and the middle strip. That's the way we pieced it.
i HIGHLY recommend cutting everything out and pinning it up on a wall (I just used a chunk of fabric hooked to my bookcase). Its a must to see the whole pattern and figure out what colour stars go where - especially since the point of one star is on the adjacent block. Then, just work block by block.
Like this... (looking at the block pdf second page)
1) start with upper left, connect 1s to 2. Then 2 to 3s. Pin back on wall.
2) do bottom right, connect 1s to 2. Then 2 to 3s. Pin back on wall.
3) connect 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 across the middle.
4) Connect above three pieces.
Its an ambitious quilt. Its only after looking back did we realize what a project that first quilt was! Its by far the project I have the most pride in.
Good luck! And please post your finished project!!!
PS - for cutting the pieces, I made templates out of plastic and we traced them on and cut them out. You'll find you can line them up pretty good so that you can just a row and then cut them into pieces. You may want to trace the seam allowances because the points can be difficult to line up.
BE SURE to line up the seam allowances and not the fabric itself.
Let me know if you have any more questions.