Have you ever had one of those projects that seem as if they will be delightfully easy during the planning process, and only by the time you are past the point of no return do you realize how mind numbingly insane the whole thing is?
Well, this was one of those projects.
I had the most awesome brainstorm around Thanksgiving when I was trying to figure out something to stitch for my fiance. We are both wicked dorks, and both love playing Tetris (but are not big on much else regarding video games). So, when I ran across the Gotta Love Geeks Tetris Style You Complete Me, I knew exactly what I had to make. Check it out if you haven't seen it before: http://gottalovegeeks.com/pictures/you-complete-me-tetris-style/
I figured, how difficult could it possibly be to stitch Tetris? They are a bunch of little squares hooked together in very few different colors! Great idea! I'll totally finish it by Christmas.
Then, I had another brainstorm while playing with magnets at work. It would be even cooler if I stitched something I could cut out and make interactive! Tetris without any electronics needed! Wicked! And if I cut the pieces out and added magnets it would be even better, since it could go on the 'fridge or his gun safe!
Can you all guess where this is going?
Well, the OCD kicked in, and somehow I decided I just had
to make the whole damn thing small enough that it would fit on a metal clipboard so he could play with it at break during work. (This is where I get myself in trouble.) However, as I play with the pattern, I realize I don't want to sacrifice detail for size. (Shoot me now.)
Finally, I test this now hairbrained scheme on a bunch of different stitching mediums. The punched paper made the pieces far larger than I wanted when I kept the 1 pixel to 1 stitch ratio. Same goes for the Adia. I dug further into my stash and whipped out the linen and evenweave. The linen I had handy has those very slight bumps and imperfections in the threads that I didn't want for this particular project. Now comes the 28 count Evenweave. The usual means of stitching with two strands of floss over the usual two evenweave holes was obviously too large again. Here's where things got crazy-
I ended up doing the entire flippin' thing in petite point. Yes, that's right, one strand of floss over one hole in 28 count Evenweave. I didn't think this through all that well. Each Tetris square consists of 9x9 stitches. Each little "Tetrid" (the shapes) consists of 4 squares. The entire project has 49 of these Tetrids, plus 6 single blocks (a'la game B with the floating blocking squares you start with). All together that makes 202 squares composed of 16,362 individual stitches... And I thought it would be a quick and easy project.
So needless to say, I did not finish by Christmas. At least I ended up finishing before his birthday at the end of May! It was a lot of stitching, and I don't think I'll be all that excited to create something else in that particular size again. I spent a few too many hours under two Ott Lights feeling like my eyes were going to pop out of my skull.
That is the finished product. I have no idea how many hours I spent on this thing, at least my guy loves it!
Here's a couple pics from the mounting process. I had some of it when it was half finished, but they might have been lost when my old computer's hard drive crapped out.
Stitching completed- that's a whole lot of Tetris!
Dear Gods! She's cutting it up! Yup- I mounted it on some of that sticky mount poster board type stitching backer. Next I cut it apart using some of those gigantic tailor sheers and the larger X-Acto blade for fine tuning. After cutting out the pieces, they all received a bit of magnetic tape on the reverse side.
I was surprised how strong the magnetic tape actually is. I bet I will find more uses for it in future craft projects. All of the pieces stuck to the refrigerator as I organized them to create the heart.
Finally, here's the comparison- the print out of the original bit of inspiration, http://gottalovegeeks.com/pictures/you-complete-me-tetris-style/
and my interpretation.
Whew. That was a lot of work.
I probably should have ironed the pieces before mounting them to the backer- some are slightly curved, but at that point I just wanted to get the thing done so I didn't have to look at it anymore.
Er, I mean, so my wonderful loving guy could have his much delayed present. Really...
Hope you all get a kick out of it. It's a lot of fun to mess with on the refrigerator!