Wanted to post my friends' Halloween costumes from this year. I'm most amazed (and super jealous) that Sam made both costumes in one day. Mr. Peanut's costume was made from fleece and felt with the addition of a curtain rod cane. The sack of nuts costume was made from burlap, suspenders and did contain nuts.
Thanks for looking! C&C's will be shared with my friends.
After stressing over what to be for Halloween and, of course, waiting until last minute to put everything together, I decided to be a Halloween classic of my youth: a witch. The costume was put together from various clothes already owned and were modified by adding any of the orange fabric to. The hat, which was my favorite part, was borrowed from a friend with the addition of...you guessed it, orange fabric.
In the end, I was super happy with the way the costume turned out. Of course, after checking out everyone else's entries I am in awe of everyone else's talent and costumes. Either way, two pics are posted below. One from the front and the side view so you can see the hat better:
My balcony has welcomed the new addition of a fern. The fern was originally in a hanging basket, but the balcony roof is so tall it looked silly to have this little basket hanging so close to the top of the roof. Plus I could only really see the bottom of the planter. To remedy the problem, I crocheted a plant holder to hang a bit lower.
I didn't have a pattern and did have to start over a few times until I got the design I wanted. To start, I made a circle of eight single crochet stitches using two strands of twine at once. I then made four double crochet spokes and crocheted four long double crochet stands from them. I knotted of the strands together and then made a central hanging post using four strands of twine until I got the desired length. A loop was left at the end of the four strand post and all the ends were tucked in. Below is a picture of the bottom of the holder that the pot rests on. If I were to redo anything, I would have only used three spokes instead of four. However, the length works for me, and the fern lays nicely around it.
Thanks for looking at this post! Comments, critiques, and questions are welcome.
I've been sitting on this project since I found these cute plastic Chinese take out containers at the Dollar Tree in town. Since the plastic was see through, I originally intended to put battery operated tea lights in the lantern and string them across my balcony. However, the wait was worth it. After seeing jennygum's Sun Jar Tutorial, http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=348120.0, I knew I just had to use solar lights for these:
To make the finished lanterns, I placed the top part of a yard solar light upside down each take out box and closed it up. Then I wrapped one, long string of twine around top part of the boxes handles, and hung up the strand on my balcony. Below is a picture of an individual lantern. You can see the solar light inside of it.
Waiting until dark, I've found that only four of the six lights lit up. I'm hoping that it's due to not being fully charged. My concern is that since the solar panels are inside of an transparent (or translucent?) object and pointing down, they may not collect enough sunlight to stay charged for the night. For now, I'll wait until a full day's charge tomorrow and see if they all light up again and if the other two work. Worse case scenario, some more tinkering will get full power to the lights. If anyone has any experience/knowledge of how solar panels work with indirect sunlight, please let me know. Last picture is of four of the lanterns lit up at night. (Sorry if it's blurry, my camera takes horrible pictures in the dark.) I'm pretty excited with how they turned out!
While shopping for a baby shower gift, I found an adorable dinosaur outfit that even had claws coming out of the feet. Inspired, I made a hat to go along with the gift.
The hat is made from the Seija Set in Happy Hooker and the dino spikes are a variation from a costume in the Fall 2009 issue of Crochet Today. Sadly, I don't have any pics of the matching outfit or baby wearing the hat, but I did find a suitable stand in.
Thanks for looking and comments/critiques are welcome!
I had mirrors over the kitchen sink of my apartment left over from the previous tenants. When I was cleaning them, one fell off and took some dry wall with it. The handyguy came over and spackled the tear, but the job soon showed some air bubbles. I came up with this window as a way to cover the spackle and get some color into the kitchen.
After picking up an old window from a friend, scraped off the old paint, repainted, and cleaned the windowpanes. Then I picked out a scene I'd want to look at while cleaning dishes, blew it up to fit the window, and printed it with a poster printer. The picture is along the Fox River in Wedron, IL, an old vacation spot. I apologize for any glare in the picture. I laminated it to protect it from steam, and then tacked it to the back of the window frame. Because the back of the window isn't flash, there are a few ripples in the picture, probably try to tape those taut. I hung the window from the cabinets using hooks, eye screws, nuts, and chains. What you see is the completed result (and maybe some dirty dishes ).
This project is so great! I was inspired to try it right away. Since I was impatient, I didn't wait to collect pages from my magazines (plus I have a hard time cutting some of them up). I did use strips of scrapbook paper. These four are going in my bathroom to give it a little bit of color:
I hope you like them. It was a fun project. Thank you again for the inspiration!