I've been really keen to try out making a coat for boys. I used my girl's coat pattern as a basis but changed a couple of the measurements to make it less feminine / a-line and more boyish / boxy. I had a good idea of what I wanted it to look like (mixture of military, emo, marching band, pirate!) but took forever
figuring out how to practically construct it. In the end I made it single breasted but with the look of double breasted with removable button-on plackets.
It is a black twill shell with red goretex / microfleece lining. It's technically reversible but I didn't bother doing buttons or anything to the fleece side as it'd be pretty strange to wear twill on the inside and fleece to the outside! Plus, I wanted the red edging on the hood to 'pop' so I lined the hood in the black twill. So if it was worn on the reverse it'd be a red coat with black hood... not a good look methinks.
The hood is a bit too pointy for my liking... I like the pointy / pixie look on the girls coat but I wanted a more classic curve for the boys. Bad pattern making on my part, but I can change it easy enough for the next one! The hood has red cording sandwiched in between the layers, the sleeve and body edges look like they have cording but it's actually just the lining that I pulled through so it 'peeks' out.
There is a single button at the neck of the coat under the top red placket. The red plackets are functional (i.e. they have actual buttonholes as opposed to buttons being sewn on) but they are completely detachable. I did it this way because a) my sewing machine would have completely died if I tried to buttonhole through four layers b) I can try out different styles, colours and sizes without ruining the coat. I'll probably make some plain black ones (and maybe royal blue as well) to see how they would look.
Considering the amount of time I spent planning and making it I should love it but I'm a little bit ambivalent... I think the plackets are too chunky or something.