This is my first quilting project, so I decided to start small, with just a pillow. I think I may be hooked now!
I'm a PhD student working in a games research lab and we've been attempting to make our lab space feel more game-related. I used a 1up mushroom sprite from the Mario games as my pattern. I've seen quilted versions of the sprites before, but they're generally using solid colors. I come from a big crafting family, so I wanted to see what it would look like with more traditional quilting fabrics. Here's the finished product:
I took a lot of pictures along the way on my camera phone to document the whole process.
The whole thing was a bit more complicated than it should have been given that I changed my mind about a billion times during the process and ended up changing the pattern in the end.
This is the initial layout. You can see my little template and everything. This is stuck to the side of my friend's cube. Later I went out and bought a yard of flannel so I could use it as my design board. It made it a lot more pleasant for moving the squares around.
I'd laid out the entire thing, and as I was walking back to the lab I suddenly had a realization... Isn't the 1up mushroom green with WHITE spots, not white with GREEN spots? Turns out it did show up in one game as white with green spots, but in general it is represented as green with white spots. However the fabrics I had didn't look good that way.
So I got more fabric. That's the obvious solution, right? This took two trips to Hart's Fabric, and swapping what sections got what fabric, and using a less symmetrical version of the graphic so it showed more of the green cap. Finally I was happy so I started stitching.
This is how much the final product shrank due to the seam allowances. It was a much more dramatic decrease in size than I was expecting. Suddenly I wasn't concerned that my pillow was going to be ginormous.
I somehow managed to sew the top half mirrored of what it should have been. Oops. I didn't notice until I sewed the top and the bottom half together. That was a lot of seams to rip out, by the way.
Finally, all done!
The final pillow is 16x16" and each square is 1" big. I put in a border so that it would be easier to fit the puffy pillow inside.
Other than the ironing of all the seams multiple times, it was pretty darn fun.
But now I'm not quite sure what to work on next. I did somehow end up with a whole heck of a lot of fat quarters that have nothing to do with this project. I guess I'll need to find SOME use for them...