Woohoo, first topic! Found these recipes a few weeks back in New Zealand Healthy Food Guide.
Herby Onion and Butter Bean Mix
Makes 1 Quantity
Time to make: 25 Minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
400g can butter beans, drained and rinsed.
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add onion, pumpkin seeds and thyme. Cook gently for 15 minutes, stirring, until onion is soft.
2. Add butter beans. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
NOTE: For a variation of this, try rosemary instead of thyme and swap butter beans with canned chickpeas or mixed beans.
Citrus Hummus Pasta with Butter Beans and Spinach
Time to make: 15 minutes
250g packet dried pasta (I use wide lasange)
1 quantity herby onion and butterbean mix
2 tablespoons pitted black olives, halved
1 medium orange, zest and juice
3 tablespoons hummus
large handful baby spinach
small handful fresh basil
1. Cook pasta following packet instructions, until al dente. Drain and tip back into pot.
2. Add herby onion and butter bean mix, olives, orange zest and juice, hummus and spinach. Heat gently for 1-2 minutes to wilt spinach.
3. Toss through basil leaves then spoon into bowls and serve.
Spiced Butter Bean Patties (with Yoghurt Dressing)
I leave out the yoghurt dressing, as I am vegan, and opt for hummus.
Time to make: 20 minutes
1 quantity herby onion and butter bean mix
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 lemon, zest and juice
1 small courgette, grated
3 tablespoons whole grain breadcrumbs
flour, for dusting
4 tablespoons natural yoghurt
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1/2 small cucumber, finely chopped
8 mini pita breads, warmed, to serve
1 large tomato
mixed salad leaves
1. Put herby onion and butter bean mix into a pan with cumin and heat gently for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Tip into a bowl and roughly mash together with lemon zest and juice, courgette and breadcrumbs. Dust hands with flour, then shape mixture into 8 patties. Press lightly to flatten.
2. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan. Add patties and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden. Turn patties, add remaining oil, then cook for a further 3-4 minutes until heated through and golden.
3. Meanwhile, put yoghurt into a bowl with parsley and cucumber. Mix well. Spoon into pitas. Top with patties, sliced tomato and salad leaves.