Thanks everyone! They were really fun to make. I love stitching accessories because there's no fitting involved!
I love the first wallet. Was the tutorial easy to follow? I have been wanting to try it, just haven't had the time.
Yes, the tutorial was very easy to follow. There is a little more information on my blog about that (link in the signature).
And as far as the bag goes, the gussets were fairly easy as well, just time consuming because each piece is stitched then top-stitched on each side. I'm making another one soon, and I'll put up a short tutorial when I do that (hopefully).
I've been doing some sewing with vinyl lately. It took me a little bit to get the hang of it, but I think I'm getting there. Most of the vinyl in these projects are remnants and all the cotton is from my stash. The cotton in the wallets is interfaced with a medium weight fusible interfacing, the cotton in the purse is an upholstery weight fabric, also a remnant, so I didn't interface it. I'd love to hear any feedback you may have.
Good idea about the Pac-Man shape. I was just looking over this post recently, and I think I'm going to make a start on the bag soon. I've got a bunch of Cascade 220 in beige on sale last year and it's just been sitting there. I'll probably make a fabric mock-up first and then follow that shape for the pattern.
I thinking a front piece, a back piece with the Pac man corners. Seam all that up then attach the reinforced corner pieces. Then do the top in the round, making the little pleats as I go. It shouldn't be too hard. I expect that some kind of plastic canvas may be needed to reinforce the top part. I'll probably make the handles from beige vinyl and hopefully I'll be able to find some kind of hardware that'll match well.
Wish me luck. If it goes well, I'll post pics. If I fail miserably, well, I'll post pics of that too.
oh! maybe some made from a thick felted sweater with a needle felted design...
I did make a shortie pair from a felted sweater. No needle felting, but I used some of the rib from the cuffs to make a vertical ruffle. I thought about posting those too, but I couldn't get a good photo. It just looked like a big black sock. Go figure.
So, I got all excited over these. when you make another pair; would you be willing to do a detailed tutorial by chance? I'm fairly new to sewing, but as I said...these are the perfect idea for a burlesque number I was plotting for Sgt. Pepper
I can do that. No guarantee of the time frame, but hopefully I'll be starting soon. It is relatively straight forward. The only thing that gets a little dicey is the top stitching. And if you haven't worked with vinyl before, you may want to do a practice run on some vinyl scraps before going with the spats. It took me a little while to get comfortable with vinyl because you can't pin it. You could use a woven fabric, but then you'd have to add some heavy duty interfacing, or they'd just sag.
I really love both of those. I'm a sucker for puffed sleeves right now. I just made to tunics with puff sleeves. The epaulets are a very nice touch. I wonder how they'd look a scoop neck or crew neck shirt? Something about me a turtlenecks isn't exactly right.
The vinyl looks awesome. I was just about to ask what material that is, until I read your comment. Very nice design! Did they take you long to make? I have like one unfinished set, that is so low (above the ankles) that I never finished and should just give up on and make some high rised ones/normal height.
Thanks, I like that particular vinyl a lot. It has a nice pebbly texture. They probably took about 4 hours total. The first hour and a half (or there about) was making the pattern and the muslins, then another hour-ish of sewing the spats up, maybe thirty minutes to do the stencil and another hour, maybe a little longer to mark and hammer in the grommets. A lot of that pattern/sewing time was spent thinking about the next step. I didn't want to make any mistakes, especially with the vinyl because once it has a hole in it, that hole is there FOREVER.
Of course now that I have the pattern and I'm confident about the steps , I could make another pair in a lot less time. I'm going to start scouting vintage stores for some linen for the spring pair!
These are beautiful and the lining is gorgeous. They look as if you could wear them inside out. Thanks for sharing!
I really love the lining fabric as well. it's a Alexander Henry print. I was hoping they could be reversible, but because of the way I did the top stitching, which was necessary to give them a good stable shape on the back of the leg, I can't wear them with the lining on the outside. I have a lot of that Alexander Henry fabric left, so I may make another pair!