Class/Challenge : May Headmistress challenge
Project Name: Strawberry Shortcake Birthday cake
Project Description: Unlike Harry, my nieces have had a birthday cake from me for every birthday they have ever had. This was Miss M's first year to choose her own theme, which was strawberry shortcake, so I created all sorts of decorations because nothing could be found in town. The "recipe" was more of a box, but I'll tell you what I did to achieve the look.
1 box Duncan Hines Chocolate cake mix
1 box Duncan Hines Strawberry cake mix
1 can Duncan Hines frosting base
1 packet Duncan Hines strawberry shortcake icing flavour packet
red food colouring
printable puppets from www.strawberryhshortcake.com
1)create the puppets but glue them on to toothpicks instead of popsicle sticks
2) Mix chocolate cake and pour in greased spring form pan
3) Mix the the strawberry cake and pour into the middle of the chocolate cake mix. Carefully spread the strawberry mix over the chocolate - but avoid mixing the two together
4) Bake until cake is ready, remove pan and put in fridge for 6-8 hours.
5) Melt the frosting so it is liquidy, add flavour packet and mix. Pour 1/2 to 3/4 of container over cake, smoothing it out but ensuring the entire cake is coated. Put in fridge so icing can harden
6) When the light pink icing has hardened, re-melt the can of frosting and add red food colouring to create a deep pink or red icing. Using a silicone brush, paint on a strawberry shape. Return to fridge for 1/2 hour or so.
7) Using green icing, creat strawberry top, using white icing, give the strawberry some 'seeds'. Also write "Happy Birthday" under the strawberry
Add puppets and candles to top and have a great party
Project picture :