I made this for my grandmother who uses a walker, as her current bag is becoming a bit battered. I'm still a bit shaky on bag construction, but this went together a bit easier than I had thought it would. Used a fusible batting and added interior pockets for both front and back.
I didn't get around painting the frame like I had wanted to until a month ago, when they came for their annual visit. And by that time, the fabric bottom had a serious mishap as the husband had sat down on day too hard, and proceeded to keep on going.
So- paint & a new bottom was in order - I used Rust-Oleum 'Painters Touch' in a satin Aqua and went to a wholesale fabric outlet and purchased a plastic-y mesh type of material, 2 inch grommets and 8 yards of cording.
The bottom bench was measured & enlarged - sides and ends folded over twice for grommet placement and room for it to be wrapped under the bars. The cording was zig zagged side to side on the bottom and then corners crossed and knotted.
My daughter's class has an auction every month, in which they use 'class money' they have earned to buy items. Being the height of cold and flu season and in a class the size of a small regiment (respective ages 9-11) - my daughter asked me to make these for her class. As did her teacher. The last one I kept for myself
I had picked up 2 charm packs for my mom as a surprise, but she decided she didn't like them (pinks, browns, greens - Nest by Moda). So, I used them to throw together these 2 smaller quilts for my twins for Christmas. They are a bit smaller than crib sized and the girls like to use them in the car as lap quilts or snuggling with dolls and the dogs.
Things get pretty wonky when you're in the final stretch and trying to get done just for the sake of getting it done. I did a D9P pattern for the center, backing was a solid panel on each ( pink & green, with contrasting bias tape).
So, I picked up a yard of this crazy print at a local quilt shop and since it's big to begin with, really couldn't cut it into smaller pieces, so an apron came to mind. It's pretty basic - nothing too frilly about it!
This is no feat of complicated piecing, hand or machine quilting - but it's done. This is quilt #2 for me. Is about a twin size, about 65x90.
Stacked coins, with sashing in between, stitch in the ditched. Fabric is called Za Za Zing for Studio E - the quilt shop where I picked it up has discounted fabric, but it is older lines or the previous seasons, so there's a delay sometimes, lol. It's all good.
Last pic shows the most accurate in colors, and the backing. Thanks for looking!
Sounds cozy, right? lol My family went above and beyond this year for my birthday and so I made a little cozy for it, so it won't be get scratched up in transit. I used some scraps from a quilt I'm working on...it's just waiting on being sandwiched and quilted at this point...you know how it goes.
Still having issues on getting the corners mitered nicely for the binding, but used a ladder stitch for the back, which makes it a breeze (my whip stitch is horrid).
So on vacation, I went down to one of my favorite parts of St. Paul - Grand Ave to see all the shops - alot of them new, some - classics. I really had to restrain myself at a fabric store, though - which was new to me but apparently, quite established.
They had tons of amazing fabrics, funky prints, silks, etc. My brain was buzzing with so many project ideas I decided to play it safe, and picked up some oilcloth instead. Which as we all know, you can buy *anywhere*.
So I decided to make a lunch sack - pretty basic. I think my dimensions could use a tweaking, along with machine tension- but it'll do. This was my first time sewing with oilcloth, and easier than I thought it would be.