I finally finished my Mum's birthday present - a linen centered doily. I thought there was a tatting forum here... but I can't seem to find it, so I figured tatting is a form of needlework?
The edging is tatted with a vintage pattern - from the Clark's Tatting Book No. 229, printed in 1946. It actually worked up pretty quickly, but I had to put the project on hold for two moves - the first from NC to CO, then from CO to ME!
My 10 year old step-daughter is really into snow tigers, and was begging me to make her a snow tiger quilt for Christmas. I have been unable to find snow tiger fabric, so instead decided to embroider a snow tiger. I haven't decided if I want to frame it or make it into a pillow top. Suggestions?
Anyway - this is a huge departure from my style/likes. While embroidering it, I felt first like I was doing a cheesy color-by-numbers picture, then began thinking I ought quit embroidery and start painting wolves onto black velvet - 80s style. I really, really hate this, but I know she is going to love it, so...
The design is about 6 inches wide x 5 1/2 inches tall - plenty of fabric around all sides to either frame or make into a pillow.
And this is the picture I copied (since I have NO artistic talent of my own...)
First - Lilyvanilli did this incredible piece of work that I completely lusted over, obsessed about, looked at over and over... So I decided to make one for my Mum for Christmas; I think it will go really well with her kitchen.
I admit - this is a complete knock off (I'm not claiming ANY originality for this.). Props to Lily for her awesome color choices that simply couldn't be improved upon.
My mother-in-law's kitchen has wallpaper with a lilac pattern, so for Christmas, I decided to make her a lilac towel set.
The embroidered towel took about 4 days of on and off stitching and is done in stem stitch, back stitch, colonial knot, and an open lazy daisy stitch. The pattern is vintage - mid-1940s (the transfer came with a Workbasket Magazine from that era).
The huck woven towel took about 45 minutes to do. The pattern is from the May 1954 issue of Workbasket Magazine.
Long story short, my SIL and her husband do mission work for YWAM. Currently, they are starting a flight school to train missionaries, so that needed medicine, supplies, food, etc. can be dropped/delivered in impoverished areas of the world. Her husband is a pilot and is licensed to teach. The school opens early 2009!
Annnnyway, since the school is their 'baby' and their kitchen is decorated with a flight type of theme (they have airplane drawer pulls and cabinet knobs), I decided to use their flight school logo to embroider a tea towel for their kitchen.
I'm debating about filling in the YAFTA letters with satin stitch - they are solid red on the official logo. What do you think?
I made this bag for a swap I am in. My partner received today, so it is safe to post. I love this pattern! It is Vogue V8274. The pattern calls for the front pockets to be made from one fabric, but I used two for contrast. The bag went together very easily, but I wasn't 100% pleased with my lining. I had to make some adjustments to that.
I'm planning to make another for my step-daughter for Christmas, but in her favorite colors (lime green, turquoise, and purple). Believe it or not, I found the most perfect fabric in those colors! Also I'll need to make the next bag smaller to fit her frame.
Ok - here are three more towels I did over the past couple days. I personally love the Burgundy shaded towel, color-wise, but I think my favorite pattern is the blue one. The green/pink/yellow one makes me think of Easter.
Anyway - I used vintage Workbasket Magazine patterns, various issues. I did modify the pattern on the green/pink/yellow one. The top and bottom green were just straight stitches all the way across, which looked to plain, plus I wanted to add some height to the design, so I added the loops on every 3rd stitch.
And I'm starting another one today, in all Autumny colors - shading from dark brown to a cinnamon color, to leaf orange, to yellow. I think it will be really pretty.
So I decided to try my hand at Huck Weaving. I had ordered some huck towels to embroider, for a tea towel swap. I wasn't impressed with the towel quality for embroidery. The weave was too loose, but they were still good towels and I hate to waste...
I pulled out my stack of vintage 'Workbasket' magazines and chose a pattern for huck weaving. Oh my gosh - this is so addictive, so quick (for those of us who like instant gratification, so inexpensive (for us frugal types), and soooo pretty when it's finished.
The only thing I can't decide is whether or not I should cut the towel in half and crochet a towel topper on, to hang it from the fridge handle by? Or leave it long... Your thoughts on this would be appreciated!
Close up of the stitches...
Action shot on my stove...
Another random shot...
Oh! Almost forgot...
I used 6 strands DMC embroidery floss in colors 907, 906, and 905. The pattern was from the Workbasket issue May 1954.
I am a sucker for anything vintage, and I fell in love with this pattern the moment I laid eyes on it. I bought the book, Hiawatha Household Crochet Book No. 14 (c)1945, on ebay, specifically for another pattern that I had found free online. I also liked this one, from the same book, so I figured that if I liked two, I might like the rest! I was right - out of the entire book, there is only one pattern that I didn't care about one way or the other.
But this is the one that just had to be made!
So I finally made it... 11" x 24", 53 individual motifs.