Ok - safe to post this here, now! I made this as a little extra to go in a swap package, so I had to make sure my partner received first, so I didn't spoil anything.
The swap was vintage aprons, and my partner had mentioned that she liked Mexican Sugar Skulls, but I couldn't find any fabric with that theme! Sooo... I chose a floral print and a matching print that reminded me of the bandanas some of my Hispanic neighbors wear, and worked the sugar skull in by embroidering it onto a piece of white fabric. Then I appliqued the skull to the basic potholder (my first ever applique, so hopefully it won't fall apart!). Anyway, to add some depth, I stitched Swarovski 'sew in' crystals into the center of the eyes, but the sparkley awesomeness doesn't show so well in the picture.
And the matching apron...
Thanks for looking! =)