i used a simplicity pattern but altered the layout to be more accurate..
it had the basic shapes but they were simplified for ease and although my boyfriend would have been just as happy with the afforementioned layout, i personally would not settle for it.
the layout provided a decent robe shape, but was too tight to the body and was more medieval than jedi i suppose to avoid copyright infraction so i flared the panels out an extra 4 inches at the bottomed and tappered them up to an extra inch and a half under the sleeves. i also added 3 inches to the bottom so that it would hang more "obi-wan anh era" secondly the sleeves were much to tight, so i also flared them out a good two inches at top and 3 at bottom to give them a good tunnel and less bell hang. the hardest part of the robe was the hood. getting it to look like anakin's hood from e3 which was less like the other jedis and echoed the dark mystery of the emperor palpatine robe from rotj. it had to be long in the back and wide at the shoulders, but not come to the point that the pattern layout suggested. i dropped the tip of the hood 2 inches down at an angle from the top, which was placed 3 inches from the intended fold line form the pattern, so that rather than have the tip hang striaght from the top of the hood, it would appear less "wicked witch"-like. i also increased the fullness of the hood by making the inverted curv th the neckline curve outward instead the creat a bag like approach. i gathered just enough around the shoulder line that it hung over the eyes rather than off the back of the head. with the dark brown wool suiting i used it was almost perfect.
the next part was the tunic. due to lack of.. erm.. monetary support, i was unable to purchase a good gauze and had to opt for basic cotton.. it worked well enough, i made the sleeves an extra 2 inches wider and avoided the cheap look of velcro by attaching more accurate ties instead at either side of the waist.
the shoulder armour pattern provided was completely inaccurate. i used a black suede look moleskin fabric here that was heavy enough to avoid the need of interfacing, and rather than end the guards at the waist as the layout provided, i decided to drop them all the wayt o the knee in accordance with anakin's leather ones from attack of the clones. instead of attaching these to the little waistband piece provided, i kept them separate.
the next part was the belt, which is essentually like a cumberbun with a cord tie aroudn it. the pattern piece worked well enough, but rather than use a cord i once again opted to be difficult. anakin's outfit in e3 shows a small belt rather than a tie around his waist, which looked much more.. erm.. refined. so i cut an old thin belt and attached it to the back of the cumberbun piece and made it so that it wrapped around and buckled in the front. i then attached the shoulderguard pieces to the front inside of the cumberbun to avoid too many layers and provide ease of motion
overall i thought it turned out quite well for being done in 12hrs, and my boyfriend, who is going to the premier as we speak, was grinning like an idiot. i'll have pictures posted tomorrow when i get ahold of his digital camera. ::dances::