So my current project on the go is redesigning my cottage. My husband and I purchased the home from my grandmother because I couldn't see it leaving our family. I spent most of my summers there while growing up and it holds lots of memories. I loved how she designed the space but it's time for my own spin on things. My main projects are the kitchen and bathroom. The kitchen because I want more white and more cottage feel. The bathroom because it's fixtures are in need of repair.
Here is the BEFORE KITCHEN:
Here is the BEFORE LIVINGROOM:
Here is the mockup of what I plan to do. I really wanted a bank of 3 windows but after having a quote done decided that can wait for a while The cabinet doors are going to be painted white, removing 5 cupboards, putting up a beadboard backsplash, crown moulding on the cabinets and some open shelves on either side of the window.
I had a tenant in there for the last 3yrs and they just moved out this past summer. It took me so so long to clean...in fact I haven't even finished cleaning the ceiling. The tenant smoked and it was everywhere One day I got tired of cleaning so I decided to start some demolition.
Then my husband helped me remove the cabinet doors. Instead of using real beadboard I decided to take a chance on Martha Stewart's beadboard paintable wallpaper, my first time ever attempting the stuff. It was a breeze and I like the results...it's fooled 3 people so far, lol I also wanted to show that even though I scrubbed the place down with TSP, the plastic facing on the edge of the cabinet shelves was stained in almost every case (circled in red below). It looks kinda gross with bright clean cabinet interiors and this stained yellow strip on the edge of the shelves so I got creative with some dollarstore washi tape in blue gingam and just covered shelf ends in tape
The next thing was the crown on the cabinets. I looked up a few hints and tips on the internet beforehand and it really helped...I would have taken me a few cuts to realize I should cut it upside down and all that jazz. Once I got started it wasn't too bad and really came together.
I should be sticking to the kitchen to finish but I sorta got obsessed with the wallpaper for a little bit. I decided that I needed to paper the front entry wall to help tie it all together. I was at a loss for a while of what to do with this wall because it's covered in permanent wallplates...finally it hit me that the wall needed a picture gallery to disguise those fixtures. There are two plain slab doors that lead to the bedrooms, I needed to jazz them up so I put more beadboard wallpaper framed with some tiny molding I salvaged from the garage.
I'd like to try to update this as I move through projects