Okay, it's only infamous to me. I'd always thought it was the most beautiful and intricate baby blanket imaginable, but I didn't have enough faith in my pattern reading until recently to actually attempt it. http://wiseneedle.com/patternpage.asp?pattern=knitpatlaurel
Eight weeks and 1200 yards of white acrylic later...
I modified the size a bit (the actual pattern would make it almost adult sized, and I needed a baby gift), making it a respectable 48 x 33 inches. The yarn I used was Plymouth Utopia, which turned out to be a really good choice for showing stitches, although my first impulse was to use cotton. My only complaint about the yarn was its tendency to split.
I loved this project. I never got bored with it, and it was so satisfying to keep sewing each little piece together and watching it grow.
I'm going to miss it when I send it off to its new home with baby Harry T.!
First, one more gratuitous photo of my 4-year-old posing with the freakishly lifelike doll:
"Can't move... doll will eat me..."