A dear friend of mine is getting married and I wanted to do something really special for him and his fiance...they are two of those "people who have everything", and I wanted to give them something a little more unique then some housewares off the registry. So I decided to make one of the ubiquitous video game quilts! I knew metroid was my friend's fave old school nintendo game, so I went with Samus. Many many hours on this labor of love later, I am finally finished! I wanted to share how I made it, because I think I used a much easier technique than just sewing thousands of squares.
First, I drew my design and cut the squares. I did 2" squares, the finished design used 1170 squares.
Then I used fusible quilt grid and first laid out the 2" squares into the pattern, then pressed to stick to the fusible.
I sewed the horizontal rows first. Since I needed to use 2 pieces of quilt grid to accommodate the size of my quilt, i just attached the two pieces during this process.
The next step is clipping the seams at each intersection, I didn't get a photo of this, just clip the seams where the vertical fold will cross.
Fold the vertical seam and sew down the row.
Then you are done with the image!
I added borders to make it larger.
I sewed the batting, backing, and top together first and flipped inside out like a pillowcase, rather than do binding. After that I topstitched in 1/4" from the edge making sure to sew the opening from flipping the quilt shut, and quilted the top and it was done. The finished size is about 56" x 72". I feel this method is a lot easier to control, making things more precise and saving a lot of sanity instead of sewing each square individually. I've only done a baby quilt before, so this was my first large undertaking, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out!